Trip reports forum

Bangkok to Samui

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

After my long trip and my first night in Bangkok, I took a second night a little more sedately. I enjoyed a quick, and spicy dinner, at one of the many streetside restaurants, I must really start paying attention to the names of places. I then took a couple of walks up and down Koh San rd, just looking at the wares, I'm not that much of a shopper, besides its a bit early on to be adding to my luggage. There is not an inch of room in there, and with my broken wheels, I'm busy dragging a hole into the bottom of it. In hindsight, maybe I should have been shopping for a bag, but these are not things I think of at the time.
    I went to watch "The Legends of Rock" a second time, and I think they recognised me from the previous night, because I was given the microphone for a few choruses of "Roadhouse Blues" and "Knockin' on Heaven's Door". Anyone who knows me will understand how much I enjoyed this, I am a Legend of Karoake!
    The next morning I started making plans to get myself down to Koh Samui. This couldn't have been any easier, I booked a bus ferry combo, from "Angels Travel" in the reception area of my hotel. 1060 baht with "Seatran", a well known company, with collection from the reception at eight o'clock that night. Promptly at eight we were lead on a walking tour, dragging bags through the streets and alleys, picking up more travellers on their ways to the islands. Eventually we made our way to the bus and began our eight hour drive to Chumpon. This was a long and bumpy ride on a seat that was just too short to fit my legs comfortably in front of me, I had to shove one foot under the seat in front, and one off the step in the aisle. I have heard some horror stories about buses from Koh San rd, and mass robberies, but after three hours of driving, at midnight they stopped and woke everyone up for a thirty minute pitstop. After this I was pretty comfortable that they weren't going to rob us, although this didn't quite make up for the discomfort of the seat, so I spent most of the drive awake. There was an hours wait for the ferry in the morning, and then a scenic route to Koh Toa, then Koh Panghan, and finally Samui, another 4 and half hours. Taxi from the pier to Lamai, shared with two backpackers, 200 baht. All in all about sixteen hours of traveling, well worth it.
    As the boat reached Samui the rain started, a true downpour, I was soaked by the time I was in the taxi. It rained most of the night and alot of the next day, but this suited me fine as I needed the rest. When the sun came out I was ready for it, breakfast on the beach stretching to lunch, layers of suncream, and leisurely swims. This is what I came here for. As I plan to be here for a while my books for this trip are Leo Tolstoy's "War and Peace" and Homer's "Odyssey". I have started on "War and Peace" but this is hardly beach reading, I should have bought "Twilight" or something.
    Three years has done a lot to change Samui, Chaweng is crazy busy, with jetski's lining the beach, I don't remember any before. There is much construction going on, with a newly paved road between Lamai and Chaweng, making the ride much more enjoyable. Although they did pave over all the drain grates and are now proceeding to cut them open again, such is Thailand. I hope they get this done before the next big rain. The road in Chaweng was down to one lane on Christmas night, a road cone and a steamroller your only warning that you should move over into the oncoming lane. I am a biker and I don't recommend anyone who doesn't ride try it in Chaweng, its quite simply dangerous.
    A display of Santa's heads on sticks, (just the heads, on a stick!), and the restaurant that served their Christmas dinner on Christmas eve, but not the day, goes to show that the Thai's just don't get Christmas. Having said that, I really enjoyed the dinner at the Ark Bar in Chaweng, turkey, roast potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce, what more could you want?
    I look forward to the next couple of days, exploring the island on a scooter or maybe rent a chopper, finding new coves and restaurants. Boxing day will be spent at The Beach Republic's pool party, it should be a blast. I can't imagine anything better than this, lazy days and busy nights. My only decision to make is how long to stay.
    Koh Panghan beckons.... and full moon approaches.....

#1 Posted: 26/12/2009 - 10:44

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.