Trip reports forum

Holiday success thanks to Travelfish

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hello

I am so glad we stumbled across Travelfish when researching for our trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions, all the guesthouse reviews and travel guides.

All I need to do now is save up for a Travelfish T shirt!

Long may it continue!

Missis

#1 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 02:42

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks! -- glad to hear the trip went well.

#2 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 08:08

• Cary

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2010

This site is a great wealth of information, i'm so glad to have found it.

I'm leaving on a trip to the same 3 countrys in 8 days. Any reccommendations on can't miss places?

#3 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 14:47

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

Hi Cary

For me the highlight of the trip (apart from my brother’s wedding!) was the Angkor Wat complex. Unfortunately Angkor Wat itself is have worked done on it, which means it has scaffolding and green mesh over it, it is still awesome but the impact is lessened a bit. Because of this my favourite and unmissable wat was Preah Khan. Go off the main drag and you are on your own among the ruins, very magical.

Ta Nei is a very small ruined wat, however I recommend it for the remoteness and lack of other visitors. There was just us and one other couple there. It gives you a sense of what the wats where like before they were 'discovered' by Europeans wanting to restore.

In Phnom Penh The Killing Fields and the Genocide 'museum' are a must. The visits are harrowing and upsettiing, however it gives you an understanding of what the country, and the city of Phnom Penh, went through 30 years ago. If you don't have good paper guide material then you should hire a guide at The Killing Fields at least, to explain what all the different areas are. The guides do not have a price, instead you are asked to 'make a donation'.

Travelling from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap by boat is expensive but worth it for travelling through Tonle Sap, a massive lake. You also get to see scenery and floating villages.

From our previous trip to Thailand, taking a trip to the tiger temple outside of Bangkok was a highlight, especially going the extra Baht and having a tiger's head in my lap. In Pai (north west) we went bare back elephant riding then 'swimming' with the elephants. This was also amazing, however it hurts like hell to ride bare back - if you do it make sure it's a short trip!!

Hubby thinks that the bridge over the river Kwai and the war cemetery/museum is a must see, again outside Bangkok.

In Bangkok I loved the Thai boxing, the atmosphere was amazing. I urge you not to sit in the ring side seats, but go second class on the terraces, and try no to go to the ‘foreigner enclosure’ if there is one. The best atmosphere would be the cheap enclosure (literally) however we were shy of doing that as informed that bottles are sometimes thrown!!

All the main tourist places in Bagkok are great, the Grand Palace, Golden Buddha, Emerald Buddha, Reclining Buddha etc. A trip on the canal complex and river is good too.

We took the train from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani, initially we were thinking of going overnight but I’m so glad we did it during the day. Because my sister in law booked early we had seats right at the front of the train and you could see through the front window so all round vision. I recommend a train journey in Thailand if you can fit one in, you see a lot.

We didn’t spend much time in Laos unfortunately, just a couple of days in Pakse. The waterfalls were good. Our best time here was just hiring a motorcycle for a couple of hours and rode down a road, had a coke, came back again. This was to have some alone time away from the family. My brother and sister in law hired motorcycles for a few days and did a tour, which he said was fantastic and he highly recommended. It did help that my sister in law speaks Laos though.

Ko Phi Phi is beautiful, if you go to Phuket then some time snorkelling or diving is highly recommended.

I hope this helps a little, sorry I can't comment much on night life - too old for that!!

Have a great trip

Missis.

#4 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 18:27

• Cary

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2010

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll keep you up to date on my adventures

#5 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 02:00

• ms1892

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

Missis,

Thanks for the information. I am planning my trip now and its always nice to hear of other peoples experiences. I will be adding some of your highlights to my 'must see' list.

M.

#6 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 02:23

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

One I forgot and thoroughly enjoyed was the cooking lessons from the http://www.thaicookeryschool.com/ we went to Sompon Nabian's home where he has a classroom set up and did the local market shopping trip at the beginning. I still make the recipes now and have tried, successfully, to do others in the (included) cookbook too.

#7 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 02:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

That's great to hear. Glad you had a good time.

#8 Posted: 5/7/2011 - 12:52

• WilliamKinu-
    thia

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2014

I also want to thanks to travelfish.It has a great wealth about travelling information.I also planned my trip with the help of travelfish.Thanks a lot again.....

#9 Posted: 28/5/2014 - 05:09

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi William

Thanks!

Cheers

Stuart

#10 Posted: 28/5/2014 - 17:48

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.