Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Losing my appendix in Ko Samui

Posted by Jleef on 11/2/2010 at 20:02

A little different from your usual travel trip, even from those I've already posted myself, but hopefully some will find it of some value or entertainment =)

http://jleef.co.uk/2010/02/fleshwound/

Any advice afterwards is of course most welcome!

#1 Jleef has been a member since 6/7/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 36
 Website 

Posted by candyman on 12/2/2010 at 06:15

So I've read a couple of your blog entries and enjoyed them--also makes me want to get back to South East Asia. Anyways, did you have travelers insurance that covered everything? Or was it one of those things that are covered being from the UK? Us from the US aren't so fortunate. . . and won't be for the foreseeable future.

#2 candyman has been a member since 20/10/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by Jleef on 12/2/2010 at 13:20

UK medical cover means nothing out here. I have a bit of protection on my travel possessions from my house insurance but even so I made sure I got the best travel insurance I could before I set out - even paying extra for the medical excess waiver, so I'm fully covered. I wouldn't have it any other way, even more so now that this has happened!

I doubt there are many who would even consider travelling without insurance but if you're thinking about it, for heavens sake read my story and reconsider =)

#3 Jleef has been a member since 6/7/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 36
 Website 

Posted by neosho on 12/2/2010 at 15:04

I'm curious as to what your hospital stay cost and what did your insurance cost. I one of those that travel without insurance. LOL

#4 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by Jleef on 13/2/2010 at 15:03

I think my medical insurance cost around 230GBP for 6 months - I could be wrong. My insurance provider is covering this particular claim for a fee of up to 300,000 baht. If want to travel without insurance then that's a decision only you can make but personally, I couldn't be happier I went for the highest cover possible!

#5 Jleef has been a member since 6/7/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 36
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.