Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Question's for Anyone that has been to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam?? PLZ HELP!

Posted by erikmaez on 12/2/2010 at 04:21

I will be leaving June 8th, 2010 to visit Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam... In that order... We will be there for 7weeks and 2 days. Feel Free to answer any or all of my random questions!!

Q#1. We will be there during the world cup... Besides the big cities what chance do you think I have of finding a place to watch any world cup games in any of the 4 coutries?

Q#2. This is my first big trip like this... Anything you brought or wish you would have brought that a person wouldn't usually think to bring?

Q#3. For vietnam only... How did you aquire a visa?? Before you left or Visa on arrival??

Q#4. A fun one... What was your favorite place in any of the countries???

Q#5. Last one... Did you get any shots/ vaccinations before you left??

Thanks you sooo much!!
-Travel on my friends

#1 erikmaez has been a member since 5/11/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by rolinstone on 12/2/2010 at 08:24

Posted from within Vietnam.

1. Finding a place to watch games should not be a problem anywhere as football is the sport here.
2. Travel light-clothes are cheap and you can use the extra space to take home gifts. Any personal items you are particular about may be difficult to locate.
3. You can now do visa on arrival at the airport but expect a delay.
4. Check out Phu Quoc Island and Nha Trang in VN, also Can Tho.
5. Shots not absolutely necessary but you may want to get hepatitis A-B + bring a strong, wide-spectrum anti-biotic.

#2 rolinstone has been a member since 12/2/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by rolinstone on 12/2/2010 at 08:24

Posted from within Vietnam.

1. Finding a place to watch games should not be a problem anywhere as football is the sport here.
2. Travel light-clothes are cheap and you can use the extra space to take home gifts. Any personal items you are particular about may be difficult to locate.
3. You can now do visa on arrival at the airport but expect a delay.
4. Check out Phu Quoc Island and Nha Trang in VN, also Can Tho.
5. Shots not absolutely necessary but you may want to get hepatitis A-B + bring a strong, wide-spectrum anti-biotic.

#3 rolinstone has been a member since 12/2/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by hotchily on 18/2/2010 at 07:59

1. Agree - finding a place to watch the footy should be no problem. TV's almost everywhere and it certainly is the sport in all the countries.
2. If you drink wine, then a corkscrew, as Laos and Vietnam have a good wine selection. Vietnam - Vang dalat, Laos - Australian/French. Stubby holder if you don't drink your beer fast enough. Don't bother about a mozzy net - you don't need it as most have them
3. I had one prior to travel, although you can get one at most border crossings with a wait.
4. Thailand (north) loved Chiang Rai. Laos - Luang Prabang, Bolaven Plateau and surrounds, Oh and yes Vang Vieng. Cambodia - all of it. Vietnam - Nha Trang, Mekong, Sapa & Halong Bay.
5. Yep - better safe than sorry

Have a fun trip

#4 hotchily has been a member since 14/1/2009. Posts: 14

Posted by cdnexplorer on 18/2/2010 at 08:55

1) I was there during the Euro Cup and games were widely available. Great atmosphere.
2) A netbook.
4) Railay
5) Typhoid and Hep A. This time around I plan on getting some additional vaccinations while in SEA.

#5 cdnexplorer has been a member since 19/8/2009. Posts: 28

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.