Vietnam forum

Need advice for Nha Trang tour

• Babalugats

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 25

Hi guys. I'll be visiting Nha Trang this June; it will be my first time to visit Vietnam. I'll arrive in Ho Chi Minh at past 12 MN. Is there a train schedule from HCM to Nha Trang at early morning? Or is better to take a plane (Vietnam Airlines) instead? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 21/3/2010 - 02:43

• Advertisement

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

It looks like there is a train leaving Saigon at 5:30am and arriving here in Nha Trang (where I happen to be at the moment) at 12:48pm.

This site is amazing for train info:
    http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

One problem could be the possibility of the kind of seat or berth you want being sold out. June is in the rainy season so maybe things will be open, but as of now it seems like every soft sleeper berth is sold out at least a day or two in advance. I believe you can buy a train ticket from abroad, but it gets more expensive and might be kind of a pain.

There's a Vietnam Airlines flight every morning at 6am and if you buy in advance it's only 650,000 dong, which is under US$40 so that seems like the thing to do, especially if you might already be in a daze after a long flight to Saigon.

#2 Posted: 21/3/2010 - 17:13

• Babalugats

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 25

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I don't want to look naive when I arrive there, so I have to ask questions.

Based from your response, I guessed there's a train leaving Nha Trang for Saigon in the afternoon. But the plane seems to be a better option.

One more question: what place will you recommend for a backpacker? I'll be in Nha Trang for about two days. Perhaps I can see the cultural landmarks and the beach in that span of time.

Thanks again!

#3 Posted: 21/3/2010 - 20:54

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Yes, this message board is great for people helping each other and such. This is my first time in Vietnam and it's been a huge help to me.

I'm working while I travel and staying a long time in each place so I'm now purposely staying outside the main tourist zone, at least by a bit. If I were only here a couple days I would definitely recommend the backpacker district, which is easy to see on the Travelfish map of Nha Trang. That area that you see on the map that's dense with hotels is pretty compact and quite nice. Just read those expert reviews and pick a place and I think you'll do well here. It's a short enough walk to the lovely beach from any of them.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2010 - 21:08

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

It depends on where else you're going in Vietnam but in only two days I'd probably just focus on some beach / relaxing time. There are some cultural spots around town but there's plenty of those in Vietnam and if Nha Trang's your only beachtime, maybe make the most of it. I was there last month and had a surprisingly good time on a boat trip - it was a bit ordered i.e. go here, get off there etc., which is not my style, but it was well organised, the staff were fab and it was overall really funny. I can dig out the details if you're interested.

#5 Posted: 29/3/2010 - 17:45

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

It depends on where else you're going in Vietnam but in only two days I'd probably just focus on some beach / relaxing time. There are some cultural spots around town but there's plenty of those in Vietnam and if Nha Trang's your only beachtime, maybe make the most of it. I was there last month and had a surprisingly good time on a boat trip - it was a bit ordered i.e. go here, get off there etc., which is not my style, but it was well organised, the staff were fab and it was overall really funny. I can dig out the details if you're interested.

#6 Posted: 29/3/2010 - 17:47

• Babalugats

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 25

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it.

I'll be in southern Vietnam for 5-6 days. I plan to spend two days in Nha Trang and visit Phan Rang Thap Cham (like to see Po Klong Garai Cham Tower and the craft villages). Then it's off to Ho Chi Minh; I'll be there for a day.

Long Son Pagoda, Chong Promontory Rocks, Cham Tower and the Po Nagar Temples will be in my itinerary. The beach as well, but I don't know if I'll still have enough time for the boat trip. Is it possible? I assume visitors will set foot in some islands in this tour.

The details of your trip will be of great help; I look forward to it. Thanks again!

#7 Posted: 29/3/2010 - 20:56

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Sounds like you're packing a lot in as it is, so a day on a boat trip is probably not going to work. But depends how you like to spend your time! I won't recommend the boat trip I did as it really was a full day and, given your limited time may not be the best use of your day - but if you want to do some snorkelling you could probably find a 1/2 day trip once you're in Nha Trang. But really - your call.

#8 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 08:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.