Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Bus or Boat? from Ho Chi Mihn City to Phnom Phen

• hfergu

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Canada

Hello -

Would anyone be able to explain the bus versus the boat options from HCHMC to Phnom Phen? I want to make the best usage of time possible, but also have an enjoyable trip. Also, I'm not interested in speedboat options.

#1 Posted: 23/3/2010 - 02:53

• Advertisement

• tayloroz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010

Hi Hilary,
    We have just returned from 4 weeks in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos (not nearly enough time!). We originally planned to travel to Chau Doc in Vietnam then catch the Blue Cruiser boat to Phnom Penh , however this did not work out because 1. Blue cruiser was booked out on the day we wanted it (and this was booking already weeks in advance) and 2. we could not organise an inexpensive way to get to Chau Doc. We ended up taking the Mekong Express bus from Saigon to Phnom Penh as this company had been recommended on forums. It was a quick, comfortable and inexpensive trip (US12)and they provide wet towelette, bottle of water and bakery snack. They hit you up for US$5 extra on top of the Cambodian visa fee to facilitate a speedy border crossing but I gather this is pretty standard practice. We did note that Sinhtourist (formerly the Sinh Cafe) in Saigon had 2 day bus and boat tours from Saigon to Phnom Penh via the Mekong. Their webaddress is http://www.thesinhtourist.vn/. We ended up doing a separate day trip to the Mekong and then catching the direct bus.
    There are other bus companies - booking offices all along Pham Ngu Lao street in Saigon but their quality varies. Hope this helps.

#2 Posted: 23/3/2010 - 11:55

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hello Tayloroz,

I've just seen blue cruiser's website and they discribe their boats as speed-boats. Are they really speed-boats, the ones everyone discourages the use as being very dangerous?

Cheers!

#3 Posted: 24/3/2010 - 02:24

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

I just saw a post from 2007 where the ride is said to cost 15 dolars (fast boat)... on blue cruiser's website is said to cost 50 dolars!! Is this correct?

#4 Posted: 24/3/2010 - 02:34

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

We got the boat from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh last September. As far as I know, the only option was an Express Boat (aka Speedboat) - it had about 30 seats inside and a small area at the back. We paid about $20 each I think (but don't quote me!). Border crossing was really easy and all was going well but unfortunately the weather wasn't great, the driver was going too fast and we had an accident. It was one of the most scary moments of my life and my boyfriend and I both ended up in A&E in Phnom Penh needing stitches. I don't want to say don't take the boat, because who knows, the bus might be as risky, but just approach with caution.

#5 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 00:06

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

We got the boat from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh last September. As far as I know, the only option was an Express Boat (aka Speedboat) - it had about 30 seats inside and a small area at the back. We paid about $20 each I think (but don't quote me!). Border crossing was really easy and all was going well but unfortunately the weather wasn't great, the driver was going too fast and we had an accident. It was one of the most scary moments of my life and my boyfriend and I both ended up in A&E in Phnom Penh needing stitches. I don't want to say don't take the boat, because who knows, the bus might be as risky, but just approach with caution.

#6 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 00:07

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

very scary....

Thanks for the reply!

#7 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 00:27

• LaureneCao

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2010

Hi Hfergu
    In fact, the road between Ho Chi Minh and Phnom Penh is bumpy, quite crowned, has a little route with fix time( about 9 AM) . It takes a long time (7h) but it’s cheap( about $10/1 way ticket) .
    Go by boat is popular. But you can’t go from Ho Chi Minh, you need to go to Chau Doc ( by car/bus, about 5h ) , travel by boat you can see the floating village, it’s very exciting & beautiful. It takes about 5h go to Phnom Penh. Various of kind boats to choose.
    Hope information can help you
    Van Cao
    Indochina Travel Service

#8 Posted: 27/3/2010 - 11:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
bus from ho chi mihn city to siem reap ... By pjc57 on 17 Apr 2011 3 2224 18 Apr 2011
Bangkok to Cambodia, Cambodia to Ho chi mihn city...by ground transportation ... By Iwanatravel on 5 Nov 2006 2 2055 5 Nov 2006
Bus from HCMC to Phnom Phen ... By chaeta on 22 Aug 2011 2 3392 5 Sep 2011
Siagon to Phnom Phen ... By steveandlesley on 7 Aug 2007 3 2793 8 Aug 2007
saigon to Phnom Phen ... By mackankara on 9 Mar 2007 3 3185 10 Mar 2007
Flight from Phnom Phen ... By ronyarm on 1 May 2008 5 4255 4 May 2008
how do i get from Phnom Phen to Phuket, Thailand ... By dmicha01 on 21 Apr 2011 8 7395 22 Apr 2011
Anyone with some time on there hands in phnom phen ... By brigal on 17 Nov 2007 9 2894 29 Dec 2007
Reciving Mail in Phnom Phen ... By kamamo on 18 Mar 2007 1 2426 18 Mar 2007
Effordable international school in Phnom Phen? ... By thewayitis on 22 Apr 2010 5 3654 16 Sep 2010