Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Arriving at Ho Chi Minh City at midnight

• LGR_2010

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2010

That's kinda what you get with some of the budget airlines I guess.

I'll be flight out of Manila in Sept (on the 6th) at about 11pm MNL time. And will arrive in HCMC at 12.40am.

I was wondering if there are still
    taxis and (if they are safe) buses at this time that go to District 1.

Pls. help! Any info would be great.

(It's the same case for my trip back to Manila from Bangkok - my flight leaves Bangkok at midnight)

Thanks,
    LGR

#1 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 08:33

• Advertisement

• lexkssnbrg

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

Yes, cabs are available at that time of the day, from my own experience. However, in order to avoid any possible hassle, I suggest you contact your hotel for a pick-up. Better safe than say sorry. Who kmows if the cab driver will take you to another hotel for a commission?

Safe travels!

#2 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 14:39

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

The cabs are certainly available, but the best option is to get your guest house to arrange one. It cost us $12US. You can get them for about $8 but we paid the extra to avoid the hassle at the airport after a long flight and arriving late at night.

#3 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 15:16

• stillgoing

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2010

I wouldnt catch a taxi is i was you. You d better arrange with your hotel or tour operator for the pick up services.

#4 Posted: 10/4/2010 - 20:14

• LGR_2010

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2010

Thanks everyone. Great to hear. And will travel safe. (I'm guessing it's the same scenario in Bangkok, ey? =))

#5 Posted: 13/4/2010 - 13:57

• sojourner

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2010
    Location Global Village

FWIW, Vinasun and Mai Linh are the more reputable taxi companies in Vietnam.

#6 Posted: 13/4/2010 - 23:08

• Puggles

Click here to learn more about Puggles
    Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Based on my experiences last year;

There are 'security' type guys that patrol taxis in HCMC as they have big issues with taxi scams. You can get a taxi 'voucher' at the airport and follow the directions of the 'security' guys and you will be fine.

It can be difficult though to pick out who is who in the zoo as there will be lots of touts there and people calling you from all directions asking if you need a ride.

As others have said, it is advisable to have your hotel arrange your pick-up or taxi. I arrived once without making prior transport or hotel arrangements and I wouldn't do it again. :)

#7 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 12:48

• LGR_2010

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2010

I'm all set with taxi rides from the airport...=)

Does anyone have any info on whether there are any foreign exchange stores open after midnight at HCMC airport?

It's so difficult to find Vietnamese Dong anywhere.

Any help would be great!

Thanks.
    L

#8 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 14:11

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

I think there will be Travelex or similar open, but if not, there are ATMs everywhere in Vietnam. Don't specifically recall one at the airport but I am sure there would be. Otherwise ask the driver to stop on the way or just wait until the morning to access an ATM.

#9 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 14:33

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

If your hotel is taking care of the airport transfer, then that charge will go on your hotel bill and you will not need Dong immediately. I believe only ATMs are open at that time. Midnight is actually a good time to arrive - traffic is so chaotic in this town that it's best to take it easy at first to prepare you (you won't believe how bad it is!) Taxi scams are the biggest headache a traveler has in VN - no doubt you will be scammed at least once. Insist on Mai Linh Group cabs!!!

#10 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 11:23

• Advertisement

• LGR_2010

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2010

Great advice KazAussie and daawgon. Thanks! (nice to know that arriving at midnight has some perks- budget airline scheduling for you!

=)

#11 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 13:52

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I arrived at midnight and there were not touts. I even stood outside for at least ten minutes waiting for my hotel pick up. It was very relaxed

#12 Posted: 26/8/2010 - 04:28

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

There's a whole bank of ATM machines up toward the domestic terminal. I was able to get 4 million vnd from the ANZ machine there. It's good to have money for water or anything else you might need straight away.

#13 Posted: 30/8/2010 - 15:24

• bhoffman

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012
    Location Global Village

Cabs are not a problem at anytime of night however the 152 Tan Son Nhat to District 1 SaigonBus service would have finished hours ago, cab is best choice, unless your hotel can offer a pick-up service

#14 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 17:04

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

BKK-Swampy is MUCH more decent, organised and easy to use as was the mayhem at HCMC. But slowly it seems even VNese are responding the the millions of complaints and starting to get organised. There are always at least 1 exchange open at any arr flight.

#15 Posted: 1/11/2012 - 04:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Arriving in Bangkok at midnight ... By drudogg on 1 Aug 2009 4 3112 6 Aug 2009
Arriving at Midnight in Surat Thani ... By PieEyed on 11 Mar 2012 4 1664 11 Mar 2012
Arriving in Ho Chi Minh at 1230 am ... By nickolt on 28 Dec 2010 4 1942 30 Dec 2010
Arriving Late in Ho Chi Minh ... By TheOtherOne on 1 May 2009 2 2080 2 May 2009