Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Favourite Hanoi eating spots

Posted by swag on 7/4/2010 at 11:39

Hi we will be in Hanoi off+on for 3 weeks this June. Both very keen on enjoying as much local fare as possible.Would love to hear of some peoples personal favourites. This could be street stalls,cafes,restaurants whatever.
cheers

#1 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 330

Posted by lexkssnbrg on 7/4/2010 at 15:07

Look at the following link: http://newhanoian.xemzi.com/venue/category/11/Restaurants#1/64

Heaps of options to choose from.

Happy travels!

#2 lexkssnbrg has been a member since 5/5/2009. Posts: 53

Posted by violets on 7/4/2010 at 21:49

Posted from within Vietnam.

Quan an Ngon 18 Phan Boi Chau has a lovely atmosphere and serves its version of different street foods, not too expensive.

Grilled meat & veg, a sort of barbeque, on the street between about 6 & 8pm on Hang Trong

Le Place cafe Au Trieu, just next to the cathedral is just a nice cafe

tiny little place that has only one delicious dish in Bac Khan, just before Hang Hanh

There are heaps of little street stalls and tiny shops everywhere, especially in the old quarter

#3 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Posted by daawgon on 8/4/2010 at 10:17

One of my favorites is Foodshop 45 (Asian Indian) up on Truc Bach Lake (next to West Lake). Foodshop is on the list at the Newhanoian site - there's even a menu listed there too. Hanoi is gourmet heaven in my opinion - the other really good food towns are Hue and Hoi An.

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by swag on 9/4/2010 at 06:12

Thanks for your replies, any more would be much appreciated

#5 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 330

Posted by travellingsarah on 9/4/2010 at 13:05 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

My favourite 'proper' sit-down restaurant in Old Quarter is Little Hanoi on Ta Hien. It seems to mostly attract tourists but is none the worse for it! Beautifully flavoured dishes at very reasonable prices.

For a more local experience try Bun Bo Nam Bo on Hang Dieu - it's mentioned in the guidebooks but I've only ever seen a couple of other Westerners in there. Ignore the banana leaves (from the nem) and the other rubbish on the floor - it's yum.

I also love the Bittet at the street kitchen at the southern end of Dinh Liet, near the lake.

Finally, of course you must try Pho and Bun Cha. I can't recommend any particular places - you'll just see it everywhere.

Other than that - just give anything a go! As mentioned, there's food everywhere in Hanoi and it's so cheap on the streets that if you try it and don't like it you can try something else.

#6 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by daawgon on 10/4/2010 at 01:04

I too am a fan of Bun Bo Nam Bo, sort of fast food Hanoi style - only 2 things on the menu and it's just assumed that everyone eats Bun Bo - you just hold up 1 finger for 1 bowl, and 2 for 2 bowls, etc. Be sure to add the chili sauce on the table. (a true bargain at 30,000VND per bowl (approx. US$1.55). Bun = noodle, and Bo = beef (this bowl also has herbs and ground peanuts, if my memory serves me well?) They also have bottled beer.

Another place (my breakfast favorite) is on Dinh Liet - just a hole in the wall with a sign that says "Coffee Restaurant" - the cook here has true skill with eggs and serves some of the best breakfasts I've ever had in Vietnam. The Italian Club Sandwich here is also to-die-for with turkey, bacon and egg.

#7 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by sanpedro on 21/4/2010 at 20:15

Quan an Ngon has a good variety and is well worth a visit.

Cha Ca (tumeric fish) - instead of the crowds at the place in the guide books try Cha Ca Anh Vu instead - its good.no. 116, block K1 of Giang Vo

Check the seafood street and order fresh cooked prawns by the kilo it is relatively expensive compared to other meals but delish. We went to No. 6 Tống Duy Tân.
Check out the Savour Asia website heaps of good street food tips:
http://www.savourasia.com/content/view/1/2/

#8 sanpedro has been a member since 29/9/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by MADMAC on 21/4/2010 at 21:50

I hear their KFC is OK.

#9 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.