Vietnam forum

Favourite Hanoi eating spots

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi we will be in Hanoi off+on for 3 weeks this June. Both very keen on enjoying as much local fare as possible.Would love to hear of some peoples personal favourites. This could be street stalls,cafes,restaurants whatever.
    cheers

#1 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 11:39

• Advertisement

• lexkssnbrg

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

Look at the following link: http://newhanoian.xemzi.com/venue/category/11/Restaurants#1/64

Heaps of options to choose from.

Happy travels!

#2 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 15:07

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Posted from within Vietnam.

Quan an Ngon 18 Phan Boi Chau has a lovely atmosphere and serves its version of different street foods, not too expensive.

Grilled meat & veg, a sort of barbeque, on the street between about 6 & 8pm on Hang Trong

Le Place cafe Au Trieu, just next to the cathedral is just a nice cafe

tiny little place that has only one delicious dish in Bac Khan, just before Hang Hanh

There are heaps of little street stalls and tiny shops everywhere, especially in the old quarter

#3 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 21:49

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

One of my favorites is Foodshop 45 (Asian Indian) up on Truc Bach Lake (next to West Lake). Foodshop is on the list at the Newhanoian site - there's even a menu listed there too. Hanoi is gourmet heaven in my opinion - the other really good food towns are Hue and Hoi An.

#4 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 10:17

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Thanks for your replies, any more would be much appreciated

#5 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 06:12

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

My favourite 'proper' sit-down restaurant in Old Quarter is Little Hanoi on Ta Hien. It seems to mostly attract tourists but is none the worse for it! Beautifully flavoured dishes at very reasonable prices.

For a more local experience try Bun Bo Nam Bo on Hang Dieu - it's mentioned in the guidebooks but I've only ever seen a couple of other Westerners in there. Ignore the banana leaves (from the nem) and the other rubbish on the floor - it's yum.

I also love the Bittet at the street kitchen at the southern end of Dinh Liet, near the lake.

Finally, of course you must try Pho and Bun Cha. I can't recommend any particular places - you'll just see it everywhere.

Other than that - just give anything a go! As mentioned, there's food everywhere in Hanoi and it's so cheap on the streets that if you try it and don't like it you can try something else.

#6 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 13:05

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I too am a fan of Bun Bo Nam Bo, sort of fast food Hanoi style - only 2 things on the menu and it's just assumed that everyone eats Bun Bo - you just hold up 1 finger for 1 bowl, and 2 for 2 bowls, etc. Be sure to add the chili sauce on the table. (a true bargain at 30,000VND per bowl (approx. US$1.55). Bun = noodle, and Bo = beef (this bowl also has herbs and ground peanuts, if my memory serves me well?) They also have bottled beer.

Another place (my breakfast favorite) is on Dinh Liet - just a hole in the wall with a sign that says "Coffee Restaurant" - the cook here has true skill with eggs and serves some of the best breakfasts I've ever had in Vietnam. The Italian Club Sandwich here is also to-die-for with turkey, bacon and egg.

#7 Posted: 10/4/2010 - 01:04

• sanpedro

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2009

Quan an Ngon has a good variety and is well worth a visit.

Cha Ca (tumeric fish) - instead of the crowds at the place in the guide books try Cha Ca Anh Vu instead - its good.no. 116, block K1 of Giang Vo

Check the seafood street and order fresh cooked prawns by the kilo it is relatively expensive compared to other meals but delish. We went to No. 6 Tống Duy Tân.
    Check out the Savour Asia website heaps of good street food tips:
    http://www.savourasia.com/content/view/1/2/

#8 Posted: 21/4/2010 - 20:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I hear their KFC is OK.

#9 Posted: 21/4/2010 - 21:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Gay spots in Hanoi ... By zzryanzz on 3 Feb 2011 1 3481 3 Feb 2011