Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Camping around Vietnam Cambodia & Laos

• gill1

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2010

Hi

I am new to this forum and would like to know if anyone has any experience in camping in Vietnam, Laos or cambodia? Is it safe?

Thanks in advance

Gill

#1 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 17:58

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I think there might be some camping at National Parks in Thailand. Like where you and a whole bunch of other people rent tents by the night and all camp out in the same place.

But in general people don't camp out in the forest. It's just not done. Are you new to SEAsia also? The forests differ from N America in that there are people and villages all over them. Mostly if people are far off the beaten path they sleep in the house of the village chief or naiban as they are called. It's like anywhere in that people acting unusual cause consternation. To be alone is unusual.

Can you speak any of the languages of places you intend to go? Always nice to have an introduction.

#2 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 22:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Certainly to be alone in the sticks is unusual, because it ain't smart. You get bit by a venemous snake out in the woods and you are screwed. Some of the venemous snakes are here are highly toxic. Also, from a camping perspective, the environment is pretty harsh, with centipedes, scorpions and ants in numbers so great they would stymie people who count the national debt. It's just not real camping friendly.

#3 Posted: 10/4/2010 - 10:44

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Some tents are being rented out in places like beaches in Vietnam and some bikers on North to South route do camp but mostly they stay in minority villages along the way.

Normally registration of place of stay is required for all tourists to Vietnam. Security is an issue of course. There are no designated camp grounds I know of aside from a few beaches etc.

I think there is a future for camping as a group on tour but for the moment few are offered.

#4 Posted: 10/4/2010 - 17:47

• gill1

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2010

thanks everyone for the replies we shall take your advice and not camp.

Many thanks

#5 Posted: 11/4/2010 - 23:34

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Good call Gill1. I did it a number of years ago and was lucky to survive the experience.

Of course, that was 40 years ago....... ;)

#6 Posted: 12/4/2010 - 10:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Michael
    I'm not sure I would have called it "camping".

#7 Posted: 12/4/2010 - 17:12

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

No, no Mac. Really. I slept on the ground, walked around a lot, cooked outside. Maybe it was more like what we now call trekking. Except, I was a ... ummm ... heavily armed trekker.

#8 Posted: 12/4/2010 - 19:33

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I'd think Archmichael that it wasn't the sleeping on the ground and walking around cooking outside part that had your concentration focused?

I'd think many places might be ideal for camping in that large populations have been relocated due to opium supression and just general movement towards the road. Good way to see the country, and you see and hear a lot of different animals while spending the night out rather than in the middle of a village with all the rooster crowing, pig snuffling, dogs, and so on. Upland hunters often spend a few days out without bags, tents or anything.

Recently I blogged about a Lahu family I found sleeping out under banana leaves, at elevation where nights are cool too. Parents curled around the kids at night.

My only objection is that it's just not what people are used to over in SEAsia. Certainly possible, just that one should be aware it's not typical.

#9 Posted: 12/4/2010 - 19:52

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Somsai: right you are! My attention was continually diverted from the sights at hand by the activities of some of the local folks. One time, in fact, our little group was walking along, through a very beautiful valley, crossing a small stream on a log or some such. As I approached the stream, I saw that the "log" was actually the barrel of a 19th century cannon! The ends were firmly in the earth on both ends, and it looked like it had been resting there, and serving as a foot bridge, for a long time. I am returning to that valley early next year, and would love to see if the cannon is still there, over the stream.

But I digress.

It would be interesting to do some camping in the countryside of Southeast Asia. But, as noted above, one would want to be very well prepared, and very careful (in some places, aside from insects and leeches, there are yet landmines about).

Happy travels!

#10 Posted: 13/4/2010 - 10:18

• Advertisement

• stillgoing

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2010

I remember once camped on the boat in Ha Long. Schedulally, there would be a camping option on an islet of Ha long, but the weather turnt badly. We decided to camp on boat. Not much different! and still ok.

#11 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 14:02

• lonebike

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

Hi
    I am planning to bike alone through Cambodia and Vietnam.Is it possible to set up tent somewhere at dusk?

#12 Posted: 14/5/2012 - 04:19

• lmacka

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2011

Apologies in advance for the self-promotion, but I believe this to be pretty relevant.

There is a new campground on an island off Sihanoukville, Cambodia. Read about it on the New Additions forum here:
    http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/cambodiaadditions/19702_crusoe-island---a-new-camp-ground-on-koh-ta-kiev--sihanoukville-

#13 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 00:00

• Lalo27

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2013

I'm interested in camping in or near Siem Reap (Cambodia) so we can take our time to visit the temples and still be in a nice countryside surrounding.. Any idea?
    Thanks

#14 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 00:15

• IceOleg

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2013
    Location Russia

Posted from within Vietnam.

I tried some campings in central Vietnam - it's great! The only "but" is that I highly recommend to use the spots that are popular among local turists - they know where to stay and can help you if something happens. Vietnam people travel a lot around the country, they are very positive and helpful + prefer nature spots.

Good luck!

#15 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 23:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.