Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Please check my itinerary

• kitsune

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2010

Hello! First of all, this forum has provided me with some invaluable information in the last weeks. Thank you!

I'm off next month for two months to SE Asia. I'm planning to visit Vietnam, Camboya, Laos, Thailand, Malasia y Singapur. I've finally finished my Vietnam-Camboya itinerary (although I do not know what to do next... shall I go to Laos 4000 islands? or start directly in Vientiane and then go up and then down in Thailand? Argh! Lao Airlines is soooo expensive!) Could you please check my itinerary and tell me what you think? Thanksss!

DIA FECHA ITINERARIO
    1 07-may LHR-SIN
    2 08-may SIN-HAN. Afternoon in Hanoi
    3 09-may Leave Hanoi in the moring to Halong Bai *Sihn Tour
    4 10-may Halong Bai (kayak)
    5 11-may Halong Bai-Hanoi. I come back in the afternoon. Hanoi-Lao Cai (night train)
    6 12-may Lao Cai-Sapa. Trekking around Sapa.
    7 13-may Trekking around Sapa. Sapa-Lao Cai-Hanoi (night train)
    8 14-may Visit Hanoi. Hanoi-Hue (night train)
    9 15-may Visit Hue.
    10 16-may Hue-Danang. Visit Danang. (this might sound stupid, but are there lockers in Danang station to leave the rucksack? Are the Marble Mountains and the Cham Museum worth it?). Danang-Hoian.
    11 17-may Visit Hoian
    12 18-may Hoian-Danang-HCMC (flight at 08.30). Visit HCMC.
    13 19-may CuChi Tunnels + Cao Dai Temple *Sihn Tour
    14 20-may Mekong *Sihn Tour
    15 21-may Mekong and arrival in late afternoon to Phnom Penh
    16 22-may Visit Phnom Penh
    17 23-may Boat to Siem Reap
    18 24-may Angkor Wat
    19 25-may Angkor Wat
    20 26-may Angkor Wat

#1 Posted: 10/4/2010 - 22:18

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

You will be so exhausted by the time you get to Cambodia, that the thought of riding buses in Laos will be out of the question. You're trying to do way too much for 20 short days - I would cut something out. I normally go to Vietnam for no less than 3.5 weeks, but 4 is better for your itinerary. The part I disagree with is the Central Coast - too rushed around Hoi An - one of the nicest parts of the country. The obvious cut would be to only see Vietnam on this trip?

#2 Posted: 11/4/2010 - 02:03

• indochinaqu-
    eenhotel

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2010
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

I think it is better when you go to Sapa first, and then when you come back from sapa in early morning, you can have breakfast at your hotel then go to Halong Bay.
    After Halong Bay, you come back about 4:20pm and take night train to Hue.

#3 Posted: 11/4/2010 - 08:58

• stillgoing

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2010

If you intend to visit Laos after the trip to Cambodia, just go straight to Luang Prabang . I myself find Luang Prabang is far more attractive than Vientiane, and it fairly cheap too. If you dont like flight, can take bus trip from Vientiane/Luang Prabang to Bankok /Chieng mai. Bus is comfortable but w/o air-coned though.
    Niche Travel Vietnam

#4 Posted: 11/4/2010 - 12:21

• kitsune

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2010

Thank you very much for your replies. I think I'm doing:

2 08-may SIN-HAN. Afternoon in Hanoi
    3 09-may Visit Hanoi. Hanoi-Lao Cai at 21.15 (SP1 night train)
    4 10-may Lao Cai-Sa Pa. Trekking around Sapa.
    5 11-may Trekking around Sapa. Sapa-Lao Cai. Departure to Hanoi at 21.00 (SP4 night train)
    6 12-may Arrival to Hanoi at 05.05 and departure to Halong Bai at 07.30 *Sihn Tour
    7 13-may Halong Bai (kayak)
    8 14-may Halong Bai. Back to Hanoi in the afternoon. Departure to Hue at 23.00 (SE3 night train)

And the rest stays the same.

From Siem Reap I am going to Bangkok and then cross the Thai/Laos border at Huay Xai and then go down Laos until Vientaine and then take a plane to KL.

#5 Posted: 11/4/2010 - 19:46

• lexkssnbrg

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

Well, it looks fine too me basically but frankly you're spending too little time in Hanoi. I doubt if you will be able to cover most of its major attractions.

Lex

#6 Posted: 12/4/2010 - 10:36

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

With two months, and the first sort of given over to Viet Nam & Cambodia (per what you originally posted), I would:

> Add a day or so to Ha Noi (consecutive days, mind you);
    > Cut out the Sa Pa part altogether;
    > One more day for Phnom Penh.

Even as altered, from 15 May onwards still really seems so rushed.
    Less places, more time in each, but that's just my personal travel mantra.

I don't know about luggage lockers. Haven't seen any. Perhaps someone else has?

Happy trails!

#7 Posted: 13/4/2010 - 10:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I thing combining travel days with the day you plan to see the place you are going to is kind of unrealistic.

On your day ten, you want to start in Hue , travel to Danang, visit Danang, travel on to Hoi An - in one day. That means going from you hotel in Hue to the bus station, catching a bus, traveling to Danang, checking out the sites, traveling back to the bus station, catching another bus, getting to Hoi An and then finding a place to sleep. It's probably theoretically possible, but why would you want to do this to yourself. Vacations are suppose to relieve stress, not create it.

#8 Posted: 13/4/2010 - 12:24

• UCSBrown

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

I like that you are trying to plan everything. However, be mindful that your itin should only be a rough guide. You don't want to be on a schedule all the time. You will find places that you like and others you don't care much for and you'll want to leave sooner than planned. Like most backpackers you'll likely end up in places outside of your original travel plans. Don't stress too much about planning every detail.

#9 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 16:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.