Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

In Hanoi during Tet - booking Hanoi Guesthouse in advance?

Posted by lampostx on 26/10/2006 at 12:33

hi there,

Due to our flight out of Hanoi to Japan right after the Tet Festival, we are wondering if we should book a guesthouse for several days over Tet. Our plan is to arrive in Hanoi a few days before Tet, go to Halong Bay for a couple of days, then back in Hanoi to chill and take in the Tet festivities and atmosphere for a few days (sit out the time when everything is closed and fully booked).

I've been looking online and have narrowed our accomodation for booking in advance to the Hanoi Backpacker's Hostel and Hanoi Guesthouse.

Does anyone have any experience with Hanoi Guesthouse? They are more affordable than the Backpacker's Hostel, and you can get a double room instead of a dorm bed for much cheaper.

Also, I trust the Backpacker's hostel due to its affliliation with HI, but what are the chances of Hanoi Gueshouse not honouring an advance reservation, if any?

Much thanks for any info!!

#1 lampostx has been a member since 25/10/2006. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/10/2006 at 13:26 admin

Hi lampostx,

As long as you don't mind a dorm, Hanoi Backpacker's Hostel is a far superior spot to Hanoi Guesthouse -- which we don't review on Travelfish because it's not a place I'd recommend.

A reservation over Tet probably wouldn't be too bad an idea, but bear in mind that Ha Long Bay and all public transport will be heaving that time of the year.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by lampostx on 26/10/2006 at 21:34

hi somtam2000,

Just out of curiousity, why is Hanoi Guesthouse not recommended? They seem to have good ratings on them from the net (e.g. TripAdvisor). This is the one on 14 Bat Su Street.

Thanks for the info!

Fionna

#3 lampostx has been a member since 25/10/2006. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 27/10/2006 at 08:51 admin

Hi Fionna,
A bunch of guesthouses in Hanoi have a bad reputation for unduly pressuring their guests to do tours with them. Hanoi Guesthouse is one of them.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by lampostx on 27/10/2006 at 09:42

Gotcha, thanks so much for the info, somtam!

Fionna

#5 lampostx has been a member since 25/10/2006. Posts: 16

Posted by pauljaymes on 29/10/2006 at 05:45

I can thoroughly recommend Hanoi Backpackers' Hostel. It is one of the best places I stayed in Asia.

#6 pauljaymes has been a member since 10/7/2006. Posts: 75

Posted by DakLak on 10/11/2006 at 02:47

Tet is a family festival which means IN their houses - not out on the streets. Services for Foreigners are sharply curtailed - you will find hotels have food but not the usual variety.

Think hard whether you want to be battling with millions of Vietnamese for beds and seats on trains, buses and aircraft. Things are very tight.

#7 DakLak has been a member since 28/8/2006. Posts: 57

Posted by lampostx on 10/11/2006 at 10:10

hi DakLak, thanks for the info. Do you know when things start getting full (i.e. seats on trains, etc.)? Say, if we arrive a 10 days before Tet, is that okay to get berths on the train?

#8 lampostx has been a member since 25/10/2006. Posts: 16

Posted by gluefish on 10/11/2006 at 18:20

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi lampostx

If you go to Ha Noi 10 days before Tet, it will be very good time. You don't have to worry about train, because if you only go from Ha Noi to Ha Long and back, you'll use no train. Buses are more widely-use. It'll cost you only 3 USD and 3 hour to go to Ha Long from Ha Noi .

Hope that helps

#9 gluefish has been a member since 10/11/2006. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.