Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Downpouring 4 days in Sapa--What to do? Help!

• Lucie27

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all,

We arrived in Sapa yesterday and went on a short tour of a village via motobikes. We planned for an extensive tour today and woke up to the streets flooded with rain--a thunderstorm! Forecast says it will rain etc. for next 3 days--we must leave in 2 to catch a plain. While we are glad that the rain with help the dry rice crop this year, we are destitute, not knowing what to do now that we are here.

Please help us find an itinerary in the monsoon!

Thanks, Lucie

#1 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 07:26

• Advertisement

• babara

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2010

Dear Lucie,

I am really sorry to hear that your Sapa trip is not lucky because of the bad weather.

Do not worry. You can trek to villages and join in activities with local people. Also I suggest you shoul not miss visit markets which are very interesting in Sapa. Bac Ha market(sunday), Can Cau market(Saturday), Muong Khuong market(thursday).
    You can look below an example of itinerary for yourself.

http://www.footprintsvietnam.com/Tours/Trekking/Sapa-Medium-Trek-Plus-Sunday-Market3days.htm

Have a good trip!

#2 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 10:20

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Often times there it rains in the valleys but not up in the mountains. I say keep trekking, get to higher altitudes, and if you can manage to get above the storms you could have some unbelievable views. If not, hey, I don't mind hiking in the rain - you'll still see the villages... Just bring a raincoat and a smile!

#3 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 12:23

• stillgoing

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2010

I reccommend to wait for a few days to see what is happening. If it is forcasted to rain in the next few days, decide to go back to Hanoi and continue your trip in Vietnam. Sunny weather and beaches awaiting for you in the central and south too.
    Good luck,

#4 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 13:55

• smellel

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009

Hi Lucie,

I'm also in Sapa. I was thinking maybe a cooking course or something but haven't found any yet.
    Does anyone know if there are any classes avail in Sapa?

Thanks,
    El

#5 Posted: 16/4/2010 - 09:39

• LaureneCao

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2010

Hi there,
    With recent weather, the road is vey dirty and wet so don’t suit for trekking or hiking. I think you should reduce you time in Sapa and spend more time in other destinations .
    Yeah, I absolutely agree with Babara, you shouldn’t miss to visit markets which is very amazing and memoriable. Tomorrow you can go Can Cau Market ( it take about 2 hours) and if you want go to Bac Ha Market (20km from Cau Cau) so return to Hanoi .
    From Hanoi you can join the tour in center city, countryside(Duong Lam, Bat Trang, Van Phuc Silk, Perfume Pagoda), and specially, go to Phu Tho to join Hung Temple King Festival.
    In Hanoi, the weather is better, it’s not rain and cold- that’s appropriate for travelling.
    Hope information can help you.

#6 Posted: 16/4/2010 - 16:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"You can trek to villages and join in activities with local people."

Barbara
    The local people are staying out of the rain. "Trek to villages"??? In a downpour? Probably not.

Lucie,
    Go get a massage, a good meal and read a book. That's the best I can do. I've lived here for three years. When it rains, we hunker down.

#7 Posted: 17/4/2010 - 01:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.