Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

heading to hanoi long term

Posted by pablocat on 28/10/2006 at 13:49

hi all,

i'm leaving for hanoi in a few days to learn vietnamese and do some volunteer work and have finally decided to get organised...

does anyone have any advice how to hook up with some cheap long term accomadation? share house, studio appartments - anything.

#1 pablocat has been a member since 28/10/2006. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/10/2006 at 07:01 admin

Hi pablocat,

Welcome to Travelfish!

A good starting point are some of the expat-orientated cafes -- they often have messageboards with notes for rentals etc.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,504
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by DakLak on 10/11/2006 at 02:39

You better understand a few things first!

(1) You must have a visa for your stay in VietNam - no working on a tourist visa;

(2) The premises you rent MUST be licenced for renting to Foreigners;

(3) Your Landlord will need to copy the visa and your passport;

(4) Cops can visit, and search, without a warrant or your consent. Cohabiting with VN females is illegal unless you have a marriage certificate with your name and the girls on it.

For locating premises ... < www.livinginvietnam.com > or local English language papers.

#3 DakLak has been a member since 28/8/2006. Posts: 57

Posted by pablocat on 10/11/2006 at 17:43

Posted from within Vietnam.

thanks for the heads up you two - have been following your advice. i AM a female so at least i don't have to worry about no.4 :)

#4 pablocat has been a member since 28/10/2006. Posts: 5

Posted by DakLak on 12/11/2006 at 08:47

Substitute male for female; man for girl!

The principle is the same.

One thing, certain personal feminine products are in short supply over here such as tampons, etc. Stock up before you come - also with birth control pills and other medication.

#5 DakLak has been a member since 28/8/2006. Posts: 57

Posted by pablocat on 12/11/2006 at 18:20

Posted from within Vietnam.

hey there,

thanks for the tips again daklak. i've been in cambodia for a few months already and lao before that. i actually haven't found it too hard to stock up on tampons - definately not pads are everywhere i've found - i think they must be stocking up more on that stuff more than they used too.

thanks again.

#6 pablocat has been a member since 28/10/2006. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.