Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

2 Week Itinerary of Vietnam Top to Tail

Posted by hanes on 28/4/2010 at 13:09

Hey guys, i'm planning to head down up to vietnam from singapore in january 2011 for around 10 days to 2 weeks with 3 other frends. Seen some great rough itineraries around the site such as this:
http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/vietnam-hanoi-to-saigon
Just want to get feedback on places to check out and miss.

So basically we wanna work our way down sticking somewhat closely to the itinerary. Was considering making a detour up to Sapa when in hanoi. And another one to the delta and phu quoc island when down in ho chi minh. Was wondering if phu quoc is worth the detour since i'm pretty sure of heading to nha trang and mui ne on the way down? Oh and is the delta worth a look as well?

Any feedback would be great, thanks guys. (:

#1 hanes has been a member since 28/4/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by travellingsarah on 28/4/2010 at 13:36 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi. You'll really struggle to fit in Sapa, the Delta and Phu Quoc in only 10 days to 2 weeks. The example itinerary you reference suggests that as a minimum without the side trips. If that's all the time you've got then you need to think about what you're most interested in e.g. beaches vs mountains and prioritise accordingly, otherwise you'll find you're constantly on the move. The Delta .... I'm torn. Yes, it's worth it as it's a different side of Vietnam, but then if you only do a day trip you'll just see the tourist spots anyway. I've not been to Phu Quoc yet so can't help there.

#2 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by travellingsarah on 28/4/2010 at 13:36 TF writer

Hi. You'll really struggle to fit in Sapa, the Delta and Phu Quoc in only 10 days to 2 weeks. The example itinerary you reference suggests that as a minimum without the side trips. If that's all the time you've got then you need to think about what you're most interested in e.g. beaches vs mountains and prioritise accordingly, otherwise you'll find you're constantly on the move. The Delta .... I'm torn. Yes, it's worth it as it's a different side of Vietnam, but then if you only do a day trip you'll just see the tourist spots anyway. I've not been to Phu Quoc yet so can't help there.

#3 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by LaureneCao on 3/5/2010 at 10:18

Hi there,
I absolutely agree with Travellingsarah
With your time limited, I think I should choose travel the North or South of Vietnam. So you have a lot of time to discover & join the local life.
I suggest you 2 opinions :
Opinion 1 : Travel the North & central region
Hanoi : 2 days ( central & countryside such as : Duong Lam, Huong Pagoda,..)
Halong Bay : 2- 3 days
Sapa trekking : 3 - 4 days
Hue & Hoi An : the rest of time (3 - 4 days)
Opinion 2: Travel the Central & the South
Fly into Vietnam in Danang International Airport
Hoi An : 2 days
Nha Trang : 3 days
HCMC : 2 days
Mekong Delat : 3 - 4 days
Phu Quoc Island : the rest of time
Besides, If you really want to travel all region of Vietnam. You can fly to major city and have a glimpse of Vietnam.
Hanoi : 2 days
Sapa : 3 days
Hue : 2 day
HCMC : 1 days
Mekong Delta : 3 days
Phu Quoc island: rest of time
I've been Phu Quoc, It's wonderful island with fine beaches and clear blue sea. Best destinations for picnics, paddling, snorkeling or fishing.
Hope information can help
Van Cao
Indochina Travel Service

#4 LaureneCao has been a member since 26/2/2010. Posts: 9
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.