Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Skip Central Vietnam...

• AlexBCN

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2010

Hi,

I am planning to stay around three weeks in Vietnam next July-August.

I start my journey in Hanoi, and want to go to Sapa and Halong Bay (10 days). Then take the overnight train to Hue and see Hoi An (4 days), I want then to spend some time in Saigon and see the Cu chi Tunels and the Mekong Delta (6 days).

I am not sure whether to fly from Hoi An (Dalang) to Saigon, or do this leg overland.

Do you have any suggestion on land routes? And if so, how long would it take? Is it worth seeing...

Also any suggestion on timing in the rest of the trip would be great!

Thanks everybody for the help!

#1 Posted: 28/4/2010 - 16:54

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Personally, I enjoyed Dalat and the central highlands - I had some of my best experiences in that area. Also the tunnels near the DMZ are very good, and are apparently better than the Cu Chi tunnels for a more 'authentic' experience. (I haven't see Cu Chi tunnels, so can't confirm).

#2 Posted: 28/4/2010 - 17:54

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

To be honest, you don't have the time to see everything, and since there's generally more of interest in the north, I would say to fly to Saigon from Danang. I loved Dalat also, but you can come back again. I really don't understand what everyone sees in Hue - I've been there twice, and never again thank you.

#3 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 10:27

• UCSBrown

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

Hue is good for a day. The Citadel sucks as it's mostly ruins but some of the Tombs are nice. It's amazing to see the grand estates constructed just to be buried in (though lots were used while alive).

#4 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 12:20

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

I just arrived in Dalat so I can't yet judge it, but I agree that Hue is kind of overrated, unless perhaps someone wants to see DMZ-related sights. I spent 8 days there recently (working a lot in my room) and I felt all the sights were rather plain and it's kind of an ugly town.

Some people dislike Hoi An, but I loved it and found it far superior for a tourist in pretty much every way. So on a short trip I'd also recommend a skip on Hue, and maybe even on a long trip as well.

#5 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 14:19

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Given your time available, I'd say fly from Da Nang to Sai Gon.

Can't comment on Hue, as Iv'e not been yet. We plan to be there for two days early next year, so it will be interesting to see what I think afterwards (vis-a-vis the general comments above about about the town, ruins, etc.).

Although I found the ware sellers in Hoi An to be a bit annoying, the town itself is beautiful and Cua Dai beach is great.

#6 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 21:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 weeks taking it easy: skip South and Central Vietnam? ... By saranneman on 31 Dec 2012 3 2324 3 Jan 2013