Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

How To See Wild Elephants

Posted by Sonnyway on 29/4/2010 at 02:52

My sons are very determined to see wild elephants while we are in Vietnam. I now there are some in Cat Tien National Park but other than that I'm at a loss. Does anyone now of any tours, whether it be bicycle or walking, where we will be sure to see some elephants?

#1 Sonnyway has been a member since 29/4/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by daawgon on 29/4/2010 at 04:34

I think you have the wrong country for "wild". Possibly in Thailand, but they're damn few and far between in VN (Central Highlands).

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,091

Posted by somsai on 29/4/2010 at 22:53

Too many poached for resale to "rescue" centers for tourists to pat.

#3 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by MADMAC on 30/4/2010 at 00:30

Somsai
I have heard there are wild elephants on the Laotian panhandle between Savanakhet and Paxse. Do you know if this is true?

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by somsai on 30/4/2010 at 10:31

Probably true but I don't know much about it. They were trying to promote elephant watching somewhere south of Vientiane, Kamuane maybe. Wild animal watching is usually no where near as fun as zoos and what not, spend a lot of time looking at nothing.

I think Burma is the place that has the most. I don't hold out much hope long term, habitat and what not. Interesting animals in the wild. Long term relationships spanning decades, social animals, not preyed on except by man.

Shame realy.

Been away from the net, just read end of the BKK thread, sounds like a humdinger. News here is about an oil spill and illegal aliens.

#5 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/4/2010 at 18:21 admin

You'll see wild elephants in some of the big parks in Thailand, eg Khao Yai, in Vietnam ahhhh lots of elephant riding in say Buon Ma Thout but that os about it that I've heard.

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 30/4/2010 at 20:17

I am hoping that everyone is waking up now to human encroachment on habitat - in a nick of time. Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. Goes to show what a great president Teddy Roosevelt was, marking off national parks long before anyone else thought that was a good idea.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Archmichael on 30/4/2010 at 20:27

MAC: True, Teddy Roosevelt was a visionary (I imagine he probably wouldn't be a Republican in these days). Sadly, an area he worked hard to preserve - the Mississippi Delta below New Orleans - is now about to be awash in oil from the blow-up of a BP oil rig. Very sad.

#8 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Posted by potkin on 30/4/2010 at 21:20

Posted from within Vietnam.

There are only about 80 wild elephants left in all of Vietnam. One community of half a dozen or so range just south of Cat Tien park, near the community of Phu Ly. I recently saw some elephant scat on some of the trails in that area. The chances of seeing an actual elephant is not great, particularly since they are not keen on human encroachment into their habitat.

#9 potkin has been a member since 4/12/2008. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.