Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

How To See Wild Elephants

• Sonnyway

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2010

My sons are very determined to see wild elephants while we are in Vietnam. I now there are some in Cat Tien National Park but other than that I'm at a loss. Does anyone now of any tours, whether it be bicycle or walking, where we will be sure to see some elephants?

#1 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 02:52

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I think you have the wrong country for "wild". Possibly in Thailand, but they're damn few and far between in VN (Central Highlands).

#2 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 04:34

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Too many poached for resale to "rescue" centers for tourists to pat.

#3 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 22:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Somsai
    I have heard there are wild elephants on the Laotian panhandle between Savanakhet and Paxse. Do you know if this is true?

#4 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 00:30

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Probably true but I don't know much about it. They were trying to promote elephant watching somewhere south of Vientiane, Kamuane maybe. Wild animal watching is usually no where near as fun as zoos and what not, spend a lot of time looking at nothing.

I think Burma is the place that has the most. I don't hold out much hope long term, habitat and what not. Interesting animals in the wild. Long term relationships spanning decades, social animals, not preyed on except by man.

Shame realy.

Been away from the net, just read end of the BKK thread, sounds like a humdinger. News here is about an oil spill and illegal aliens.

#5 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 10:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You'll see wild elephants in some of the big parks in Thailand, eg Khao Yai, in Vietnam ahhhh lots of elephant riding in say Buon Ma Thout but that os about it that I've heard.

#6 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 18:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I am hoping that everyone is waking up now to human encroachment on habitat - in a nick of time. Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. Goes to show what a great president Teddy Roosevelt was, marking off national parks long before anyone else thought that was a good idea.

#7 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 20:17

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

MAC: True, Teddy Roosevelt was a visionary (I imagine he probably wouldn't be a Republican in these days). Sadly, an area he worked hard to preserve - the Mississippi Delta below New Orleans - is now about to be awash in oil from the blow-up of a BP oil rig. Very sad.

#8 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 20:27

• potkin

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

There are only about 80 wild elephants left in all of Vietnam. One community of half a dozen or so range just south of Cat Tien park, near the community of Phu Ly. I recently saw some elephant scat on some of the trails in that area. The chances of seeing an actual elephant is not great, particularly since they are not keen on human encroachment into their habitat.

#9 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 21:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.