Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

How do I book a train from Hoi An to Dalat

• Lora

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, does anyone know how I would book a train to get to Dalat from hoi Ann? Do I have to go to Nah Trang first then bus? If so, is the only way to book a train by going to Danang? I checked with a travel agent in Hoi Ann and they said they could book the train at a cost of $30, which sounds high to me. Is there a Sinh Cafe in hoi Anne? Any suggestions appreciated!
    Thanks kindly

#1 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 21:03

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

All trains depart from the station in Da Nang, so you can go to the station there and buy a ticket in advance, or you can book from a travel agent in Hoi An , which (as you've already found) will be a little more expensive. However, if you do book from a travel agent they should give you a ride from Hoi An to the train station, saving you the cost of a taxi. Beyond that, I can't provide details on this specific trip... You'll almost certainly have to change trains somewhere down the line, but I do know it's possible to get to Da Lat by train, and I've heard it's a very scenic ride up into the mountains. Good luck

#2 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 01:38

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Yes, take the train from Danang to Nha Trang , or you can take a bus straight from Hoi An to Nha Trang. If you get a soft sleeper bunk then the train will be much more comfortable, but also more expensive and will take about the same time as the bus.

From Nha Trang you'll need to get a bus to Dalat (I'm currently in Dalat and arrived here from Nha Trang by bus about 12 days ago). The bus will cost about 100,000 dong (US$5) and will take about 4 hours, including a couple of rest stops along the way. The buses are using the new road these days so it takes a bit less time than it did only a few months ago.

There's a famous train station in Dalat, but the only place the train goes is a tourist town 17 km away where people see a pagoda and then return.

There's also an airport near Dalat and flights might be cheap enough that it's worth doing that instead of the full-day, multiple-stage ground journey.

#3 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 12:30

• Lora

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2010

Hi, thanks for your information. I guess I will have to go to Danang first and book a train from there. I don't think I am able to fly from Danang to Dalat without going to Ho chi Minh first, an extra expense....

Thanks again!

#4 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 21:03

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

The only overnight train from Danang to Nha Trang is the S7 which only has hard sleepers and leaves Danang at nearly 11pm. You will need to book this train a few days in advance to get a bed so booking through an agent in Hoi An is probably your only option. If you decide to get a soft seat during the day you should be able to get the ticket at the station just before your train goes. Check timetable on Seat61.com Both bus and train will take about 10 hours to Nha Trang, and then catch a bus to Dalat. You could also go by a series of buses from Danang through the central highlands, but that would be more difficult.

#5 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 20:55

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I took the SE5 from Hue (through Danang) to NT, and then the Mai Linh Express van from NT to Dalat. I was in soft sleeper on the train and it was one hell of a long trip. The van was not bad at all. Later I flew down to Saigon (and home to the USA). NT is worth a look/see too, but just a short one. I really liked the Central Highlands and Dalat. Check out all the waterfalls in that area and eat the great fresh food they produce.

#6 Posted: 14/5/2010 - 00:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.