Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Possible Itinerary Vietnam/Cambodia June 2011

• itchy_feet_-
    explorer

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2010

Hi everyone,

Any opinions/advice on the following itinerary would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I have previously travelled to Vietnam and have been to Ho Chi Minh, Nha Trang and Mekong Delta.

Day 1

Fly to Phnom Penh , private car to Sihanoukville , arriving late evening.

Day 2

Sihanoukville

Day 3

Day trip to Kep/Kampot

Day 4

Drive Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh mid morning. Relaxing afternoon around the city, maybe head to the markets.

Day 5

Tuol Sleng (s21 – Torture Prison), Russian Markets, Cheung Ek (The Killing Fields), Boat trip down Tonle Sap w/Khmer cook for dinner

Day 6

Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Centre (play with elephants, local lunch w/beer, chew betel nut) 0900-1700

Day 7

Private car from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. Relaxing wander around the city in the afternoon.

Day 8

Angkor Wat in the morning, Old Markets during the day

Tara Riverboat sunset cruise

Day 9

Angkor Thom in the morning, Kompong Khleang (village on stilts) in the middle of the day, Bakheng (Angkor Wat) late afternoon to watch sunset

Day 10

Tara Riverboat day cruise & gecko centre, Angkor Wat or explore town. Evening flight from Sieam Reap to Hanoi

Day 11

Ho Chi Minh Memorial Complex, One Pillar Pagoda, Temple of Literature, Hoan Kiem Lake, Ngoc Son Pagoda, Hoa Lo Prison

Night Water Puppet Show

Day 12

Hanoi – Ha Long Bay overnight trip staying on a junkboat

Day 13

Return to Hanoi and spend the afternoon finishing off any of the sightseeing we did not get finished on Day 10. Finish with a trip to the night markets after dinner.

Day 14

Fly from Hanoi to Hue very early in the morning. Day of sight seeing - Tombs (Ming Mang, Khai Dinh, Gia Long), Thien Mu Pagoda, Citadel (imperial city), Forbidden City, Tiger Fighting Arena

Day 15

Continue the sightseeing from Day 14 this morning. Travel to Hoi-An mid afternoon by private car.

Day 16

Relaxing day at the beach, exploring Hoi An town and enjoying the night life.

Day 17

Mid morning drive to Danang. Go and visit the My Son Sanctuary and Cham Museum

We can either stay overnight in Danang or get a mid afternoon flight to HCM City (we LOVED HCM last time we were here)

Day 18

Either fly Danang - HCM - Phu Quoc or HCM - Phu Quoc this morning. Spend rest of day relaxing

Day 19

Relaxing day at beach

Day 20

Relaxing day at beach

Day 21

Leave for return flights home.

Please tell me what you think of this itinerary. We love the beach but I am a little concerned Phu Quoc might just be a little TOO quiet for us. Would we be better of spending more time in Hue and Hoi An? Or is Phu Quoc really worth the visit?

Thank you all in advance.

#1 Posted: 20/5/2010 - 10:26

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

A couple of thoughts:
    "Day 9
    Angkor Thom in the morning, Kompong Khleang (village on stilts) in the middle of the day, Bakheng (Angkor Wat) late afternoon to watch sunset"

You can't really do all that in a day - Kompong Khleang is a full day trip from SR. I'd suggest shifting some of the ruins to the next day.

Day 17: My Son and Da Nang are in opposite directions so while you can fit that all into a day, it is a pretty busy one.

While what you're proposing is all possible, it is a pretty busy itinerary save the beach break at the end. Also bear in mind the weather on both the Cambodian coast and Phu Quoc Island isn't too great in June as you'll get the monsoon rought waters and rain.

If you're not especially into the beach, I'd drop both Sihanoukville and Phu Quoc from the plan and spend more time in Phnom Penh and spread the other days across Vietnam.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 20/5/2010 - 13:36

• itchy_feet_-
    explorer

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2010

Thanks for your suggestions somtam2000!

Reference the Kompong Khleang village tour - would you suggest we just did more of the ruins instead since we will be doing the Tara Riverboat cruise the next day? Or would you say it is worth seeing?

Where exactly is My Son? Is it North of Hoi An? I am confused...

Also, do you think it is worth staying in Danang overnight or just heading to the airport there for our flight out to Ho Chi Minh?

Thanks again!

#3 Posted: 20/5/2010 - 14:22

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

I realize you're already on the road (and probably home again), but I'm going to throw out my opinion about one piece of your original post anyway: My Son.

Last trip to Viet Nam (Spring, '09), we went to My Son because we weren't able to get over to Angkor Wat. Rather like a consolation prize, I suppose. So much of it (including the best structure of the site) was bombed to bits in the American War, there's little left that is noteworthy. Really, just the first ruin group you come to from the entry and performance structure (where music and dance ... allegedly Cham .. are performed). If you are going to Angkor Wat, you could (in my unlearned opinion) skip My Son altogether.

Happy travels, wherever you are!

#4 Posted: 22/10/2010 - 10:34

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I'd suggest not making Kep /Kampot a day trip from Sihanoukville, but actually staying the night. There are plenty of transport options to Phnom Penh from there, and you won't waste so much time travelling. It would difficult to see both in a day AND get back to the beach. And when there's a beautiful sunset river cruise in Kampot, fabulous crab in Kep and interesting architecture in both, why rush back? In fact, I'd try to spend a couple of days in that area.

Agree that My Son could easily be dropped from your itinerary as you're going to Angkor Wat. It's good as a warm-up, but I think it would be disappointing after the main event.

I really enjoyed Phu Quoc a couple of years back, particularly for the quiet and the unmade roads, but there were major signs of development then, so I would assume it's changed a little.

#5 Posted: 16/1/2011 - 22:12

• jackdsilva12

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2011

Great, i also thought to visit Vietnam with my wife, i heard many things about Vietnam from my friends so i have also decided to go Vietnam.

#6 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 16:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
June 2011. Thailand + Full moon party/Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos ... By sizzflair on 26 Apr 2011 4 4821 10 Dec 2011
19 f travelling vietnam-cambodia-bangkok-phuket (june 2011) looking for similar itineries companion ... By slpngg on 14 Jan 2011 14 4172 6 Jun 2011
Itinerary for last minute month (June) of solo backpacking in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos ... By s1136380 on 19 May 2013 3 1847 19 May 2013
Single female cycling Thailand, Laos and Cambodia June 2011 ... By swit on 21 Mar 2011 52 9139 21 Feb 2013
Itinerary Help - 5-6 Weeks in June (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia) ... By plew10 on 22 Mar 2010 4 4862 19 Apr 2013
Cambodia/Vietnam-Dec'2010 or Jan'2011 ... By Barracuda on 21 Jun 2010 5 1440 8 Oct 2010
Vietnam Itinerary Help - 9 Days June ... By Poyntzpass on 20 Feb 2013 5 3034 13 Apr 2013
5 weeks Cambodia and Southern Laos Itinerary June / July ... By Anetian on 30 May 2013 3 1529 31 May 2013
Sep 2011 Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By rossco on 30 Apr 2011 19 3776 12 Jul 2011