Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Postage within Vietnam

Posted by BanhMi on 24/5/2010 at 09:38

I'll be coming down from Hanoi to Hoi An where I will have a suit tailored but would rather not carry it with me through the Mekong Delta, Cambodia, Laos, etc. Slow shipping it home is out of the question since I need it for a wedding, and I'd rather not pay the high cost of sending it home quickly. I was considering the option of mailing it back to a hotel in Hanoi where I could pick it up before my return flight. Fed ex apparently wont ship within Vietnam. What are my other mailing options and how fast/dependable/expensive are they?

#1 BanhMi has been a member since 5/4/2010. Posts: 12

Posted by NYTim on 24/5/2010 at 21:58

I shipped a ton of stuff home with Fed Ex so I did not need to put my luggage in the cargo compartment of the plane. It was there when I got back home. It was quite reasonable also.

#2 NYTim has been a member since 11/9/2009. Posts: 106

Posted by BanhMi on 25/5/2010 at 00:14

Im sure the cost depends on where 'home' is. Shipping a 5 pound package through FedEx to the US will cost me $100, which is more than I want to spend. What are my options for shipping within Vietnam?

#3 BanhMi has been a member since 5/4/2010. Posts: 12

Posted by daawgon on 25/5/2010 at 00:38

FedEx certainly does ship within Vietnam - I used them 6 months ago for a small package from Saigon to Hanoi. There is at least one other express service, DHL, and probably Vietnam Air as well.

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by Pablot on 27/5/2010 at 18:44

Posted from within Vietnam.

Go to local post office and send by EMS express service which requires signature when delivered. Lowest cost courier service inside VN.

#5 Pablot has been a member since 4/5/2009. Posts: 102

Posted by violets on 30/5/2010 at 07:01

Posted from within Vietnam.

Why use Fedex? Vietnamese mail is very reliable (I've sent a heap of parcels and never lost anything) and quite cheap, particularly domestically. You can register your parcel quite cheaply as well and then you are given a number that you can use to trace your parcel (it works). I've found the problem in getting something home quickly is that customs can be very slow, leaving parcels stockpiled because they are shortstaffed, though I was told that airmail is a priority.

I think I'd be concerned that the hotel would be confused about who the parcel was for and might send it back.

#6 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Posted by BanhMi on 30/5/2010 at 11:51

Thanks to everyone for the info. The only reason I was thinking about FedEx is because it is a company familiar to me and I had no idea what the local options were. But now I do! Of course alot will depend on how well I am able to communicate with the people working at my hotel, and how organized they appear to be. Do you reckon the post office in Hanoi might hold a package for two to three weeks until I can pick it up?

#7 BanhMi has been a member since 5/4/2010. Posts: 12

Posted by violets on 11/6/2010 at 20:18

Maybe you could get the tailor to hold onto the parcel and post it to you in Saigon when you get there. I think you can send things to the main post office but I don't know how long they hold things.

#8 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.