Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Postage within Vietnam

• BanhMi

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2010

I'll be coming down from Hanoi to Hoi An where I will have a suit tailored but would rather not carry it with me through the Mekong Delta, Cambodia, Laos, etc. Slow shipping it home is out of the question since I need it for a wedding, and I'd rather not pay the high cost of sending it home quickly. I was considering the option of mailing it back to a hotel in Hanoi where I could pick it up before my return flight. Fed ex apparently wont ship within Vietnam. What are my other mailing options and how fast/dependable/expensive are they?

#1 Posted: 24/5/2010 - 09:38

• Advertisement

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I shipped a ton of stuff home with Fed Ex so I did not need to put my luggage in the cargo compartment of the plane. It was there when I got back home. It was quite reasonable also.

#2 Posted: 24/5/2010 - 21:58

• BanhMi

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2010

Im sure the cost depends on where 'home' is. Shipping a 5 pound package through FedEx to the US will cost me $100, which is more than I want to spend. What are my options for shipping within Vietnam?

#3 Posted: 25/5/2010 - 00:14

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

FedEx certainly does ship within Vietnam - I used them 6 months ago for a small package from Saigon to Hanoi. There is at least one other express service, DHL, and probably Vietnam Air as well.

#4 Posted: 25/5/2010 - 00:38

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Go to local post office and send by EMS express service which requires signature when delivered. Lowest cost courier service inside VN.

#5 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 18:44

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Posted from within Vietnam.

Why use Fedex? Vietnamese mail is very reliable (I've sent a heap of parcels and never lost anything) and quite cheap, particularly domestically. You can register your parcel quite cheaply as well and then you are given a number that you can use to trace your parcel (it works). I've found the problem in getting something home quickly is that customs can be very slow, leaving parcels stockpiled because they are shortstaffed, though I was told that airmail is a priority.

I think I'd be concerned that the hotel would be confused about who the parcel was for and might send it back.

#6 Posted: 30/5/2010 - 07:01

• BanhMi

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2010

Thanks to everyone for the info. The only reason I was thinking about FedEx is because it is a company familiar to me and I had no idea what the local options were. But now I do! Of course alot will depend on how well I am able to communicate with the people working at my hotel, and how organized they appear to be. Do you reckon the post office in Hanoi might hold a package for two to three weeks until I can pick it up?

#7 Posted: 30/5/2010 - 11:51

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Maybe you could get the tailor to hold onto the parcel and post it to you in Saigon when you get there. I think you can send things to the main post office but I don't know how long they hold things.

#8 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 20:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.