Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

tung trang/ guesthouse terminology question

• hfergu

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Canada

Hello,

I'm in the process of booking a room at the Tung Trang guesthouse, and since I can't find the info I'm looking for on their website I thought I'd ask here.

The guesthouse offers single, double and triple rooms. I'm going with my boyfriend and we'd like to have a double bed (or two single beds). I was originally thinking that we should go for the double room with the impression that it would have a double bed. But now I'm thinking that the single room might be enough to comfortably fit two people.

The website doesn't provide a detailed description of the specific rooms and they haven't replied to my emails yet.So far I've arranged to make a deposit for a single room, but I want to make sure I've made the right choice before paying in case things can't be changed one we arrive. I'd really like to stay here so anyone who has stayed here a brief explanation would be great!

Sorry if my confusion seems silly :)

#1 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 20:52

• Advertisement

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

There is absolutely no need to be paying deposits for accommodation in Vietnam.
    In fact, I have never booked a room in this country before. There is no shortage of guesthouses so you can take your fancy as you view each place.

UNLESS you are arriving at odd hours, I would simply choose upon arrival.

Anyway, if the deposit is done, then youre locked in. Unlikely to get a refund on deposit. Hope you made the right (unseen) choice!

#2 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 23:16

• hfergu

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Canada

The reasons why I want to book one night in advance are: (1) We would like a refridgerator in our room for the first night after flying in, since we're carrying sensitive meds that require cooling (this hotel has this option), and (2) after a 16 hour non-stop flight from Toronto followed by a 2 hour connecting flight from Hong Kong to Hanoi, we won't be in the mood or have the energy to search around for the ideal place to stay. Although this hotel is "unseen" I've done my research based on our individual circumstances and it comes highly recommended. If it is terrible, we can always head somewhere else after getting some rest.

#3 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 23:53

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

What Manticore says is true in that you are rarely asked for a deposit in Vietnam, but sometimes they don't hold reservations without one so I think it's a good idea on your first day. I've been traveling around here for 4 months now and several times my top choice place has been full, so while you can always find a room somewhere, I do prefer to make an email reservation when I go to a new city.

I didn't stay at the Tung Trang, but I'm guessing you'll really like it. Nearly all the Travelfish reviews have been right on the money, and hotel standards in this country are surprisingly high, even when paying only $10 per night or so.

If you have two people I'd think they'd charge you for a double room. This country is more like North America than Europe in the fact that all rooms seem to have double or queen beds, and even though I'm traveling alone I haven't yet seen an actual (small) single bed yet.

More good news is that nearly every hotel in this country seems to have a mini fridge in it, usually stocked with cheap water, beer, and soft drinks. You'll also get free toothbrushes and use of sandals in the room, among other things.

Hanoi is insane when you first arrive (and even after that) so I think locking in a room before you land is the right move. In general, hotels seem to operate really informally here, so if they needed to put you in a different room for some reason that would be no problem. The worst case scenario would be they'd send you to a similar hotel nearby, but chances are everything will work out perfectly with your reservation.

#4 Posted: 28/5/2010 - 06:18

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Posted from within Vietnam.

I was once in a room with a single bed, actually in Hanoi, though usually a single and double room are the same. I would just say a room for two people. I agree that booking ahead is a good idea for your first night, especially in Hanoi.

I stayed in the same lane as the Tung Trang in April and found it very noisy, with jackhammers being used from early in the morning. That was a problem in lots of hotels in Hanoi.

#5 Posted: 30/5/2010 - 06:52

• hfergu

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Canada

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the help :) The guesthouse eventually got back to me and answered all my questions. A single is for one person (seems logical) but they changed my booking for two (a double) without any problems. I've read that it is usually a quiet-ish guesthouse... so hopefully the construction is completed now. If not, serves us right for booking ahead without seeing the place - but it's just for a night for now.

Thanks as always!

#6 Posted: 31/5/2010 - 19:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tung Trang Hotel in Hanoi ... By epicier on 7 Jan 2007 0 1650 7 Jan 2007