Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Blogs and mosquito nets

• maxlstylee

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2010

Howdy,

Heading out to Vietnam on Thursday from LAX.

I want to be doing some blogging as I'll be gone for 2 months and would like my family to see what's going on.

Are there any sites that are blocked in Vietnam? I suppose I'd like to do something simple like blogger.com but am not sure if the countries block it. I know that you can't get to facebook and such.

Also, I need to buy a mosquito net before I go, am I looking for one that has hooks on it? or one that has 4 draw strings? I imagine I'll be using it most when I stay on the beach and such in little bungalows.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 31/5/2010 - 22:33

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Occasionally the government gets mad at one site or another (last year it was Yahoo), but I've never had a problem. I use the wonderful Travellerspoint.com for my blog - free unlimited photo storage there too. You will be surprised how free this country is - I always ask "so, where's the Communism" ? You'll probably be able to find those nets much easier in VN than at home, and cheaper too. Usually, locations that have a problem already have them installed at hotels, and now the whole place is A/C!

(the VN government could care less what tourists do/see/connect to - they're much more concerned with the VN youth and what they do online)

#2 Posted: 1/6/2010 - 11:06

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Wordpress as well, good for blogging and creating your own stuff.
    and indeed wouldn't bother for bringing a mosquito net. stayed in Vietnam last year for 2.5 months and never had any troubles with mosquito's!

as for Facebook, it's mostly banned in china but I've never saw it going down in Vietnam, so no problem.

#3 Posted: 1/6/2010 - 22:38

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Facbook was blocked in Vietnam when I was there in Dec 2009. I was able to use Facebook Lite: http://lite.facebook.com/

I just tested the link and it seems to now redirect to normal Facebook, so I'm not sure what the story is. Using the 'lite' link may still be a way around the ban, however.

For blogging, I liked travelpod.com. Had no problems in accessing this from any of the main SE countries that I was in.

#4 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 03:29

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

Facebook shut down the Lite version about a month ago, and the main site was blocked here in Vietnam through at least March, 2010. I'm traveling with my laptop and I changed my DNS setting to use OpenDNS instead and that has worked all over the country. I'm not sure if Facebook is still actually blocked for everyone else, but I think it is. I know of at least one person who lives in Hanoi and even OpenDNS doesn't get you to Facebook at his place, so it's not foolproof.

I haven't heard of any other sites of any kind that are blocked in Vietnam, and have experienced nothing in 4 months while using OpenDNS. As daawgon mentioned above, the government doesn't seem interested in stopping anything except sites where locals might be encouraged to dislike the regime.

#5 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 07:00

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

We got around the facebook block buy just googling "facebook proxy". Any number of sites will work. I have found this in various countries where certain sites are blocked. It seems they aren't very sophisticated in how they block them, so using proxies works.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 14:41

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Currently, Vietnam has a power shortage due to lack of rain, and this could well mean no power for anything! Pray for rain.

#7 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 00:46

• ms1892

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

I was in Vietnam last month and had no problems accessing Facebook. In some of the more rural locations the bandwidth was a bit feeble so i found it tricky to upload photos etc, but otherwise no problems in either the north or south of the country to update my status and read messages etc.

#8 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 21:53

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

I think you'll find you get a mosquito net if you need one but you can buy them at the market in Saigon in Hai Ba Trung street, a block past the park, not far from the ridiculous pink church. 75000vnd for a double and 50000vnd for a single.

#9 Posted: 4/6/2010 - 15:48

• Doniwarner

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2010

I used travelpod.com while in SEA and it worked flawlessly.

#10 Posted: 29/6/2010 - 21:06

• Advertisement

• williamtayl-
    or

Click here to learn more about williamtaylor
    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009
    Location Japan

Keep in mind that when using free proxies you risk exposing your personal information to who knows who. My FB and hotmail accounts both got hacked while I was in Myanmar and using a free proxy.
    I would go with a VPN. Express VPN was great for a recent two month stay in China:
    http://www.expressvpn.com/

#11 Posted: 30/6/2010 - 12:04

• AmericanVie-
    tnamese

Click here to learn more about AmericanVietnamese
    Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2010
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

I live in Saigon and do not have problems with accessing my Facebook here nor have I had problems accessing it before. As for blogs, I use blogger here without issue.

Mosquito nets are not necessary in many parts of Vietnam; if you are where you will need them you should be able to find them easily.

#12 Posted: 30/6/2010 - 12:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mosquito Nets - useful? ... By krestniy on 5 Aug 2011 2 2587 5 Aug 2011
mosquito nets! ... By TECOYLL on 20 Nov 2008 1 2096 21 Nov 2008
Mosquito Nets - useful? ... By krestniy on 5 Aug 2011 20 10943 7 Aug 2011
Mosquito Nets ... By lisasc on 15 Feb 2008 4 5672 20 Feb 2008
Mosquito Nets ... By daniel4 on 13 Jun 2011 4 3295 16 Jun 2011
Mosquito Nets - Are they available in Bangkok?? ... By SteveHickey on 11 Apr 2007 2 2220 14 Apr 2007
Mosquito Nets needed? ... By Lost_Vagabond on 1 Mar 2013 3 1565 4 Dec 2013
Where to buy mosquito nets in Bangkok? ... By stillanonymous on 22 Dec 2009 2 4219 23 Dec 2009