Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Consulate General in San Francisco

• sic8vita8est

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

Hi, I know there are a lot of visa threads here already but I wasn't finding what I needed . . .

I guess my question is, what is the deal with the Consulate General in San Francisco? I was told thats where I needed to send for my Visa (I'm flying into Hanoi so I can't pick up the Visa in another country).

I sent away my application and passports to San Fran along with the fee listed on the Vietnam Embassy website. The website says it is $30 for 1 month/multiple entry.

Now they have contacted me and say it is $85 for 1 month(and thats only single entry!). They still haven't let me know what it is for 1 month/multiple entry, but I'm not looking forward to the answer.

I honestly am feeling like this is a scam. Does it cost more to be processed in San Francisco? What is going on??

#1 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 06:07

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I know that it's fairly expensive when you use the consulate. If you can get that passport back, I would use VOA (Approval Letter) - you then get the actual visa at the airport in Vietnam. I've been there 3 times and I always do this. You can use this agency in Hanoi for the VOA: http://visa4vietnam.com

charges with VOA: $15. for Approval Letter + $25. at Hanoi airport

this agency lets you pay for the letter in person at their office in Hanoi - cheapest way! You need new USD bills for the airport fee

#2 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 11:28

• marikazabina

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2010

i live in sf and went to the consulate in person to get my visa a few weeks ago. before going, i looked at the website, talked to someone on the phone, and everything/everyone said the fee was $85, which is what i paid. i didn't get the feeling it was a scam. mine is one month, single entry; i don't know about multiple entry costs.

best of luck.

#3 Posted: 24/6/2010 - 13:13

• BanhMi

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

I decided to play it safe and pay the big bucks to get a real visa in my passport before I left, even though when I called the consulate in sf they gave me the best evidence I could ask for about the validity of VOA by insisting "No work, no work, you buy here!"
    Unfortunately the 3 month multiple entry visa they issued me had a clerical error on it, so I ended up at the VOA desk anyway where they cancelled it and issued me a one month single entry.
    I have been in contact with sf and it seems they are willing to reimburse me for the second visa I need when I return home, but when all is said and done, I wish I had just gone the VOA route.

#4 Posted: 8/7/2010 - 13:57

• Dayvit78

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I don't think it's a scam, but I think they're not very professional. They also made a clerical error on my visa, giving me an "other" instead of the "business" visa I needed, even with the letter from my company right there.

And while I was there, a Vietnamese guy (obviously from an agency) came in and processed about 50 passports at one time, so they do the agency route ok.

#5 Posted: 9/7/2010 - 09:22

• sic8vita8est

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

Thanks for the responses, I thought I'd give an update.
    I ended up having to pay $120 a person for multi-entry/one month. I sent in the extra money, and didn't hear anything for three weeks. I finally contacted the woman who asked me for money. She didn't seem to know what I was talking about, then finally sent back the passports the next day.
    So, its not a scam, but after this experience I'd definitely have to recommend going the VOA route.

#6 Posted: 18/7/2010 - 10:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Is it cheaper to get a Chinese Visa in Vietnam or San Francisco? ... By yinxzon on 8 Jan 2010 4 2443 9 Jan 2010