Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Cost of tuk tuk from airport to Saigon?

• emma066

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009

Does anyone know the answer to this? Our hotel have offered to pick us up for 13 usd. Seems a bit steep?
    Thanks
    Emma

#1 Posted: 19/6/2010 - 16:23

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Take that offer of $13. - that's a bargain for the service. Vietnam has a real problem with airport cabbies, and unless you want some of those problems, I would take that offer. Having your hotel meet the plane is especially nice late at night. There are no tuk tuks in VN by the way, but they do have cyclos.

#2 Posted: 19/6/2010 - 23:31

• UCSBrown

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

As daawgun stated there are no tuk tuks in Viet Nam.

I have taken taxis from the Airport to District 1 twice in the past year and the average has been about $8US. So $13 is a little higher. However, consider that a person will be coming and waiting just for you. They also know where you are going so the ride should be hassle-free.

Consider that most vendors, taxis, etc. will not hesitate to rip you off. Landing at the airport gives these guys a good idea that its your first time there so you may be vulnerable/gullible and they may try to separate you from as much Dong as possible. So is it worth the extra $5? If its your first time and its at night, probably.

#3 Posted: 20/6/2010 - 05:59

• aperrin49

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you choose not to take the taxi of your hotel, take, Vinasun or Mailinh Taxis, at least you ll pay on the meter.
    If your hotel is in the city center, even 8USD is quite a lot, I pay 6 usually.
    13USD is really expensive, but like UCSbrown wrote, someone will be waiting for you and you will be sure not to pay more than 13usd.
    A taxidriver once asked me 10USD just for the parking ticket of the airport whereas it is less than 1. Then, he asked for 25USD to go to my place instead of 4USD.
    I threatened him with the police and finally I paid only 8!
    Again, like UCSBrown said, maybe you should take the offer if it is your first time, by night.

#4 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 13:56

• abc

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010

$5/6 is the true cost of a metered taxi to District 1.The No 152 bus is 20c but only runs during the day.

#5 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 16:40

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

There are many reports of scams in Vietnam. To be fair we found the Vietnamese to be as honest as anywhere else really....apart from when it comes to anything to do with transport. The lying and attempted cheating by seemingly most taxi drivers, bus drivers, cyclo drivers etc is astounding. Plus, once you recognise one scam, they surprise you with another - attempting to overcharge, agreeing a price then changing it, trying to take you the wrong way, trying to take you the long way round, trying to short change you - we had 'em all. The silly thing is its usually a small amount of money that they try to scam you for. Generally it backfires on them overall, as after you've had a few arguments with cabbies and the like, you do what you can NOT to take one.

Why the authorities don't clamp down on the scams is strange. First impressions for many on arrival anywhere in Vietnam is either being ripped off or an attempted rip - off. It can't be good for their tourist industry.

#6 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 19:04

• murphy_213

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2010

My first time in Vietnam my family and I were charged $25 USD for a ride to district 1 in a cab that broke down 3 times in traffic on the way. Mind you being my first time in an asian city (not including singapore) that was a bit daunting.

When I return in December I will most likely try to have the hotel pick us up to prevent any problems. After a full day of flying, not having to deal with the stress of dodgy taxi drivers would be good!

#7 Posted: 6/7/2010 - 08:10

• CharleyNoir

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2010

Like abc says the cost is $5/6 or 100/120,000vnd. Take only Mai Lindh or Vinisun - but don't be surprised if the latter try to scam you! We call them Viniscum around here :-/ Sure there are scamsters out there - lots of them - but there are also honest cabbies so keep an eye on the meter but don't assume you're going to be ripped off...

#8 Posted: 7/7/2010 - 13:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
don mueang airport to ksr cost? ... By caymansplash on 15 Aug 2013 4 975 15 Aug 2013