Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Travelling from Phu Quoc Island to Cambodia

• NorwegianP

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2010

Hi!

So we are travelling to the Phu Quoc Island s from the Mekong area, but we were wondering if it is possible (and recommend) to travel strait from Phu Quoc Island to Cambodia. For example: get from Phu Quoc Island to Phnom Penh some how, and the take a cruise to Siem Reap. What do you guys think about getting of Phu Quoc Island?

Thanks
    Norwegian P

#1 Posted: 30/6/2010 - 22:14

• Advertisement

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Hi,

I have done a similar thing last year in November.

We took the ferry to Ha Tien, crossed the border in to Cambodia and stayed a few nights in Kep . From Kep you have daily busses to PP.

I don't think you can go directly from Phu Quoc to PP in 1 day...

#2 Posted: 1/7/2010 - 01:53

• AdamZee

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

I had read posts from a few years back about Ha Tien not being open to foreigners, is this not true anymore? We are trying to do the same thing as the orginal post above. Is Phu Quoc to Ha Tien to Kep the best option is there is besides flying? Thanks!

#3 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 22:21

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Yes Ha Tien is certainly open to foreigners.I actually live here(although I am the only one!!)There are increasing numbers of tourists,mostly passing through to or from Phu Quoc,and going to either Cambodia(Kep) or Chau Doc/Phnom Penh or the Mekong Delta.It's actually quite a busy little town.The border crossing Xa Xia/Prek Chak is easy,I've never seen anything approaching a queue there,and now there are straight through buses(no changing of vehicles) it's a lot simpler

#4 Posted: 15/8/2010 - 12:43

• tahonig

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2010

Oasisbarhatien,

Thanks for your answer above. I will go to phu quoc island in a few days and then go to cambodia from there. Do i need to arange a visa in advance or can i get one when i'm at the border (i'm from the Netherlands)? Hope to hear from you. Thanks anyway.

#5 Posted: 13/11/2010 - 14:15

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010

You can get a visa for Cambodia at the Vietnamese/Cambodian border very easily.It will cost you 20USD (maybe a little bit more) If you get the boat from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien from Nam Binh port on the east side of Phu Quoc,it's about 1+1/2 hours to Ha Tien on the boat.You could either stay here(it's a really nice town!!) or get a moto to the travel office on the opposite side of the river,and get the bus which leaves at around 12.30, goes to the border,then Kep ,Kampot and Sihanoukville.(Kep 12USD)Or you could just go straight to the border independently,a moto is around 2 USD and then try to get to Kep by moto or tuk tuk,but in my opinion it's both easier,and safer, to go on the bus.The road is in appalling condition for a few km inside Cambodia,and if you go independently you will have to carry your luggage between the border posts,it's quite a long way,and it's very hot!Have a good trip

#6 Posted: 13/11/2010 - 14:33

• tahonig

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2010

Thanks for your quick answer!! I've one more question if you're willing to answer. What is the best way to go to Siem Reap from Phu Quoc? Flying to Rach gia and then to Phom Phen and from there to Siem Reap or is there a faster way? Flying PQI - HCMC - SR is to expensive...

#7 Posted: 13/11/2010 - 17:36

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010

I have never done this route as such,but I would think the easiest way to do it,(if flying is not an option) would be to get the boat from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien,there is a bus from here to Phnom Penh(via the Prek Chak/Xa Xia border) which costs 18USD and takes about 5 hours,and then boat or bus from PP to Siem Reap

#8 Posted: 14/11/2010 - 08:42

• tahonig

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2010

Thanks! My plan was indeed a bit complicated. I will follow your advice. Thanks for the research!

#9 Posted: 14/11/2010 - 14:35

• comi

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2009
    Places visited:
    At least 4

Hi, I'm currently in Phu Quoc and I wish to try to get to Phnom Penh in one day.
    Are you sure that there are buses that connect Ha Tien to P.P. directly?
    Do you think it's possible to find the timetable somewere?
    Thanks

#10 Posted: 25/12/2010 - 21:55

• Advertisement

• tahonig

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2010

Hi,

I've done it in one day. Just ask your guesthouse/hotel/resort or a local travelagency and they will arrange the boat to ha tien, the visa for cambodia and the bus to P.P.

Have a good trip.

#11 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 20:04

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010

As the previous poster says,it's probably easier to get the hotel or agency to do it,but you could do it yourself. You get the boat leaving PQ at 08.00,which gets to Ha Tien about 10.00,then go to the travel office,and book your ticket to Phnom Penh,I think the bus leaves at 12.30,you only need to change buses one time inside Cambodia, and I think you get to PP around 17.00-18.00 .The boat is 160.000VND and the bus 18USD,plus there will be a small moto charge in Ha Tien if you haven't booked the through ticket.

#12 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 08:47

• comi

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2009
    Places visited:
    At least 4

Thanks for your replies, I've purchased the whole trip by a local travel agency in Phu Quoc. The rates indicated correspond.

#13 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 18:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Just back from Vietnam, Cambodia and Phu Quoc Island... ... By lucyhudson on 5 Mar 2007 4 3228 6 Mar 2007
Anyone stayed at Thanh Quoc (Phu Quoc Island) ... By Roody82 on 4 Dec 2008 3 4098 5 Dec 2008