Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Blackjack scam

• BanhMi

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

This happened to me yesterday in Saigon. There's posts on Lonely Planet from 2008 describing it almost exactly, but I couldnt find any here, so I thought I'd get the word out.
    Not like you're comming to Vietnam to cheat at cards in some strangers house, but just in case...
    Two very nice ladies, a little older, very innocent, dressed like tourists, ask you where you are from, and then say that they're sister is coincidentally going to study there and would like to ask some questions. When you get to their house, the sister is not there, but an 'Uncle' shows up, again coincidentally, and tells you how he is a card dealer and has a secret system he would like to show you to help people win when he is dealing. They cook you lunch and then he starts showing you 'the system' At no point do you agree to actually play for real, but he puts money in your wallet (to gain your trust, in my case $200) and immediately after, some other guy shows up who is supposedly 'the bank,' ie the guy the two of you are going to cheat out of his money. Not sure exactly how it works after this cuz at this point I gave the guys money back and got outta there. I'm assuming that you end up being the one who gets cheated.
    As far as getting into a cab with strangers to go to their house, I certainly wont be doing that again. My instincts told me that the two ladies (the bait) were genuine, and I think I was right about them in the end. They seemed new to the scam business, definitely not pro's. They actually seemed to feel really guilty at the end when I was still asking about 'the sister.' What I got out of it was a good lesson, a great welcome to Saigon, a delicious lunch (Grilled shrimp, steamed clams, fried chicken and pancit noodle) and a free cab ride back to the tourist attraction of my choice. Could've turned out a lot worse, to be sure, so watch out for this one!

#1 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 10:21

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

been there, done that! I understand the police are cracking down a bit on this scam, but obviously not enough.

I missed out on the lunch part - lucky you!

#2 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 23:01

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

been there, done that! I understand the police are cracking down a bit on this scam, but obviously not enough.

I missed out on the lunch part - lucky you!

#3 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 23:01

• Vietnam720

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009
    Location Singapore

A few have been caught but new scams with the same tactics have also been reported:

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/social/201005/Filipino-con-artists-arrested-in-HCM-City-907872/

#4 Posted: 11/7/2010 - 09:39

• BanhMi

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2010

Funny how the scammers in the above article are Filipino. The folks that got me claimed to be Thai tourists, but when they served me pancit noodles I was thinking, "Isn't that Filipino food?"

#5 Posted: 12/7/2010 - 21:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.