Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

is it going to be worth it?

• jak

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2010

hi,
    sorry to post about the weather but i'm finding it difficult to find topics relating to what i'm asking.

I was thinking about taking a gap year and travelling around south east Asia, with some friends before going off to different universities. However since we are low on funds, we were thinking about working for 7-8 months in England to fund the trip.

The basis of the trip was to spend an organised 10 weeks in Borneo with a gap year company, then backpack around S.E.A. for the following 11/12 weeks.

However due to need to raise the funds we won't be getting to Borneo till the end of march and then Vietnam, Laos ect. until around the start of June and from what I can gather this is the 'rainy season'.

Does this mean that there will be the occasional thunder storm in the afternoon but otherwise sunny or full blown days-on-end typhoons?

on the trip we were hoping to spend the time taking in scenery in the highlands and watersports on the beaches, Also travelling by motorbike. Would this be possible in the rainy season?

any information much appreciated :)

#1 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 04:11

• Advertisement

• CharleyNoir

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm curious...has the art of internet searching been suddenly lost? Jak, you can find the information you seek by just a few minutes googling - or indeed checking out the 'Travelfish' Vietnam pages... A bit practice before you go to University!

#2 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 13:18

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

I actually think those are very reasonable questions, especially since he said he did some searching already in his first sentence.

Another reason is I think the "rainy season" is often misunderstood, even though I don't quite have a handle on all of it myself. I'm currently staying in Bangkok after a long swing through Vietnam and Cambodia, and it's the rainy season here too, of course.

Based on this plus other tropical places I've been during rainy season, it is almost always a sunny morning with clouds rolling in in the afternoon, and then sometimes it pours for 30 to 60 minutes and then stops, and other times it doesn't rain at all. So yes, except for maybe the peak month, it will be sunny much of the time, and when it rains it tends to come all at once.

So depending on where you are it's usually easy enough to duck under shelter when the skies open up. Sometimes it rains in the mornings or evenings instead, but all-day rainfall does seem very rare in the tropics. Also, temperatures are a bit lower too, so even with a bit more humidity it's often less miserable than the peak month of April.

The possibly tricky thing could be the motorbike touring. It seems like all the main roads in Vietnam are nicely sealed, so you can probably keep going in the rain, but it really could be awful and maybe even a bit dangerous.

I think others around here have much more experience with this so hopefully one or more can help out.

#3 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 13:49

• jak

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2010

@CharleyNoir
    Wow google you say? I wish I'd thought of that...
    i was hoping to find some definitive answers as I've read some blogs that compare it to the scenes in Forrest Gump where the rain doesn't stop for 4 months and others like rawjer who say that it can just be for an hour in the afternoon.

@rawjer
    Thank you for the reply! Exactly what I wanted to know, fantastic post! I'm really grateful for the advice as I was considering cancelling or postponing the trip, but I think I could live with that kind of weather. Also I think the motorbikes may have been wishful thinking as flash floods and landslides seem to be an issue in the more remote areas. Once again thanks!

#4 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 15:03

• CharleyNoir

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2010

Well Jak, a quick Google returned this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho_Chi_Minh_City#Geography_and_climate

Actually the rains came late this year - June was essential dry. So if you're looking to spent the period March to June in Vietnam you might miss 'mua mua' altogether... That apart, rawjer's correct - (in the South at least) it rains heavily for an hour or two, usually in the afternoon or early evening. Its a fascinating country and the people are friendly...enjoy!

#5 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 17:03

• jak

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2010

thanks for the reply Charley, as I've never visited SAE so was a little confused by the term 'rainy season' but afternoon/evening down pours are fine and wont confine me to my hotel room for 3 months :P

#6 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 21:50

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

In Central Vietnam the monsoon season starts in September and runs at least thru December and often with patchs of rough weather thru until May! it is the monsoon season that travelers must be careful with heavy rains, flooding, etc.!

#7 Posted: 16/7/2010 - 07:44

• Sarah00

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

Spain is the third most well-liked tourist country in the world because of the characteristics associated with very aspect of it. It is a country with diverse cultures, languages and geographies. In addition to this, the sun, sea and sand of Spain have their unique appeal and make it the most enthralling tourist attraction.
    Tourism has increased in Spain because of its exquisiteness and extensive sandy beaches of the Mediterranean and South Atlantic. The Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands have been attracting tourists from Europe for decades now.
    In the tight economic times, going to Spain is a trip of a lifetime because of the competitive prices hotels, resorts, villas and holiday apartments in Spain offer. No matter where you ultimately decide to get your accommodation in Spain, you can always find a good deal in a price range you can afford.
    Ibiza has some of the finest beaches in the Mediterranean with soft white sand and crystal clear water. There are plenty of affordable hotels in Ibiza, Spain. The city of Girona has pieces of religious architecture, like the Benedictine monastery of Sant Pere de Galligants, a historic-artistic monument, and the church of Sant Nicolau, to name a few. You find a number of affordable hotels in Girona, Spain. Valencia has plenty to look for, from Gothic palaces and XIX century districts to the City of Arts and Sciences and wacky futuristic residential architecture. The city has an array of diverse sight-seeing that will keep surprising you wherever you go. To enjoy these, you have affordable hotels in Valencia, Spain.

So what are you waiting for? Go Spain.

#8 Posted: 16/7/2010 - 19:34

• jak

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2010

sorry, is south east Asia reserved for people who wish to spend all day everyday in museums?

#9 Posted: 16/7/2010 - 20:46

• AmericanVie-
    tnamese

Click here to learn more about AmericanVietnamese
    Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2010
    Location Vietnam

"is SE Asia reserved for people who wish to spend all day everyday in museums"? WTF?

#10 Posted: 18/7/2010 - 11:24

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.