Vietnam forum

Where to stop between Hoi An and Hanoi

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi guys,

My partner and I are currently in Hoi An and are planning on making our way up to Hanoi but would like to break up the trip by stopping off somewhere along the way, preferably somewhere on the coast where we can bum on a beach for a few days.

We might visit Hue as well, but are hoping to find somewhere to relax if we're all cultured out.

I've done a bit of research but all of the beach destinations I have read about sound mostly unimpressive. We aren't asking for paradise, just a nice town with a half decent beach.

All suggestions are welcome and are greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 22/7/2010 - 19:50

• Advertisement

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

This question has remained unanswered for a while now and I think that's because there really isn't such a place. Earlier in the year I was looking for options between Hue and Hanoi and the few that have any kind of tourist infrastructure at all do sound uninspiring. My conclusion is that the good beaches (that also have any kind of English-language-friendly vibe) start at Danang and go south.

I'm also among those who didn't find Hue itself to be too impressive, so maybe the best thing to do is to hang in Hoi An or Danang and then bomb your way up to Hanoi when you are ready.

Maybe someone else will have a suggestion in between.

#2 Posted: 24/7/2010 - 22:20

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks rawjer, I came to the same conclusion as you after a couple of days with no responses.

We did consider giving Cua Lo a go, not because it sounded fantastic but more because we couldn't be bothered with traveling all the way to Hanoi from here with no sleeper bus's or train berths left (only hard seats for a 15+ hour trip, no thanks) but it proved too difficult and not worth it when trying to organise. Have decided now just to hang out on the beach here for a few more days and then completely blow the budget a fly up to Hanoi.

Being low tourist season we've had no problems organising anything in a whim but apparently now it is Vietnamese summer and everything is completely booked!

Thanks a lot for your reply and if you ever discover the answer to this post be sure to let me know!

#3 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 18:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.