Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

5 am wake up with loud propaganda announcements

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you are in smaller towns & villages across VN one of the most annoying things for tourists is the 5 am wake up to loud Communist Party propaganda complete with music, etc.! this can go on for at least 1 hour! cities do not seem to suffer the same mistreatment. China stopped doing this about 30 years ago!

There are almost no public annoucements in English for disasters such as flooding, etc. So if you are travelling and you hear what appears to be a public annoucement outside of the 5 am program best to ask someone!

#1 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 06:45

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

They have these news readings at 0700 in Thai villages. A more reasonable hour to be sure.

#2 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 11:47

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

To be honest, I never heard 5.30am broadcasts (maybe I slept through them?!) but they had early evening announcements in Hanoi and other city areas.

Imagine what it is like for the people who live there permanently - they have no escape from it! Ditto applies to Muslim areas with their early morning calls to prayers. When in an Muslim area, it pays to find out the location of the nearest mosque before finding a room!

#3 Posted: 25/7/2010 - 12:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Lizzy
    This is one of many reasons I avoid living in "Muslim areas" whenever possible.

#4 Posted: 26/7/2010 - 12:07

• CharleyNoir

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2010

I lived behind a mosque in Saudi Arabia for 3 years. Prayer started at 4.30am. Within a week a I slept right through it...

#5 Posted: 26/7/2010 - 16:40

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I lived for 4 years in a country with lots of mosques too (Syria) and it is true that you get used to the call to prayers after a while.

In fact I remember thinking that children on Pulau Ai (in the Banda Islands in Indonesia ) would find it quite disturbing NOT to hear the mosque at set times during the day and night if they ever left their little island. Strange as it seems, the call to prayers provided a kind of comforting rhythm to the day in a village where there's no other real means of telling the time.

Another place that's surprisingly noisy is Burma... in the middle of the night, monks in garishly illuminated buddha buses go around waking up people with 150dB megaphones asking for money to build (yet more) stupas etc.

And what about churches in quaint English towns making a terrible racket with them bells and ruining people's Sunday lie-in? ;-)

#6 Posted: 26/7/2010 - 18:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

U never got used to the call to prayer. It was too loud. I lived in "Muslim areas" for about three years... brutal.

I'm not fond of church bells unless the hour is reasonable. But when I lived in Augsburg next to St Ulrich's Cathedral, the bells didn't chime until nine in the morning, so it wasn't so bad.

Right now there's a gong at the Wat across the street, but I do manage to sleep through that - although I didn't think I would my first week.

#7 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 02:30

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I agree - you do get used to it. (Well, I did eventually - managed to sleep through it even when staying 3-4 doors away from one)

But I still think the hours from midnight to 6.00am (at minimum) are meant for undisturbed beauty sleep! :-D

#8 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 03:37

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Noooooooo. All people in Vietnam must be awake by 5am for exercises etc. But I will admit to sleeping in until 8am this morning!

Only thing that wakes me is when they have a funeral round here..... they do like to start banging the big drum at 5am.

#9 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 11:49

• CharleyNoir

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2010

I'd like to add that one is a guest in foreign lands, and, be it Saudi Arabia or Vietnam, it behoves us to acknowledge and accept different customs - and sometimes gain inspiration from them!

#10 Posted: 27/7/2010 - 20:11

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Ah yes, I recall my first morning in Vietnam at Tuy Hoa, waking up to the loud, scratchy 5AM announcements... I didn't mind it though, actually it was endearing - all a part of the journey.

Charley and SBE - good points on accepting different customs. Growing up in my little New England (US) home town, I would often awaken to the loud "ding dong" of the church bells, which rang every hour about a block from my childhood home. (At least the announcements in VN and calls to prayer in Muslim areas don't happen on the hour, 24 hours a day!).

A side note - it amazes me how Vietnamese are such early risers. I suppose it makes sense in a country with such a long eastern facing coast that they would be up with the sun rise, but still, throngs of people doing exercises before the sun is even up? Such eagerness for life - now that made me smile.

#11 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 02:17

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Ah yes, I recall my first morning in Vietnam at Tuy Hoa, waking up to the loud, scratchy 5AM announcements... I didn't mind it though, actually it was endearing - all a part of the journey.

Charley and SBE - good points on accepting different customs. Growing up in my little New England (US) home town, I would often awaken to the loud "ding dong" of the church bells, which rang every hour about a block from my childhood home. (At least the announcements in VN and calls to prayer in Muslim areas don't happen on the hour, 24 hours a day!).

A side note - it amazes me how Vietnamese are such early risers. I suppose it makes sense in a country with such a long eastern facing coast that they would be up with the sun rise, but still, throngs of people doing exercises before the sun is even up? Such eagerness for life - now that made me smile.

#12 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 02:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I'd like to add that one is a guest in foreign lands, and, be it Saudi Arabia or Vietnam, it behoves us to acknowledge and accept different customs - and sometimes gain inspiration from them!"

Or leave if you can't. I hated Saudi Arabia, and was happy to be boarding the plane t get out.

#13 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 12:09

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

DLuek I'd agree. 5am is getting a little late. I had to get a taxi at 4am and I was staggered to see how many people were already outside, taking a walk etc. Not like England at all!

#14 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 16:30

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

in Hokkaido, Japan...music is played from village & town loudspeakers at 6AM, 7AM, 12PM & 5PM. in some villages there are also announcements at 7AM, & in some areas i've heard music & announcements at different timings too. was told that the announcements can include stuff like births & deaths in the community, meetings, typhoon warnings, etc & that this music/announcement thingy isn't unique to Hokkaido but also practised in other areas across rural Japan. & that in some places, every house has their own loudspeaker linked up to the system ...which explains why i heard it full blast at a family-run guesthouse!

& if you stay in accommodation in national parks in Japan that are popular with hikers & climbers...everyone wakes up around 4-4.30am when the sun rises in summer & by 5-5.30am all have set off. some get up at 3+am so that they can set off at first light. even if you want to sleep in, the sound of the entire hostel waking up & moving around will wake you. & everyone seems to turn in by 8-8.30pm...there was one night when a Londoner, an Irishman & i realised that the entire place had fallen silent (save for snoring)...glanced at the clock & realised that we were the only guests 'staying up late' at 10pm :P

throngs of people doing exercises before the sun is even up

usually much cooler & less humid to exercise at that time? for that reason you'll find people out exercising in parks before sunrise in Singapore.

#15 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 23:16

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

I think you'll find that the announcements are more likely to be exercise instructions. If you know the numbers in Vietnamese you'll hear them counting. It mostly happens in small towns and villages where people are up at 5am. The loudspeakers used to be more widespread but are no longer in many tourist areas.

#16 Posted: 3/8/2010 - 09:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.