Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mui Ne to Phu Quoc

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Now then, I'm in Nha Trang at the minute; heading to Mui ne in a couple of days and I was wondering if there was any way of travelling directly from Mui ne to Phu Quoc.

I need to skip Saigon as I'm meeting my folks on Phu Quoc a day or two before they leave Viet Nam.
    And was planning to stay maybe a night in Saigon on the way back before going into Cambodia.

if anyone knows if this is possible and how much it costs/long it takes i would be grateful for information.

Cheers
    Alex

#1 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 16:51

• Advertisement

• Vietnam720

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009
    Location Singapore

Hi Alex, no way to get to Phu Quoc from Mui Ne . The fastest in your case will have to be to get to Saigon from Mui Ne and then fly to Phu Quoc.

#2 Posted: 29/7/2010 - 08:47

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Right okay, i dont think I'll be able to fly.. (girlfriend is scared of flying and wants to do as little as possible bar flying there and away haha)
    Do you know how easy it is just to go straight from Mu Nie to saigon then to Rach Gia in the same day to connect with a hyrdofoil?
    Cheers

#3 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 12:21

• Vietnam720

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009
    Location Singapore

Not likely u can do all these in a day as (if i'm not wrong) the last ferry leaves Rach Gia for Phu Quoc at around 2pm.

Will already take 5 hrs to get from Mui Ne to Saigon plus another about 6 hours from Saigon to Rach Gia.

#4 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 15:45

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Flying is the easier way (always assuming you can get a ticket at such a late hour anyway)....especially for people in a rush.

Otherwise as Vn720 says....long journey.

#5 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 16:19

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Flying is a no go for us due to gf fear.
    yeah, we worked out that we couldn't do it all in one day just looking at the times of busses and boats.
    I'm leaving mu nie for Saigon at half one. Is there any chance of a nightbus to Rach Gia or will i be staying in Saigon for the night?
    Just found i have an extra day or two to play with so its not to much of a problem sitting in Saigon for a night before we head to rach gia. but i would prefer to carry on as I've already been to Saigon and am going to come back for a night or two after the island.
    Cheers for the info.

#6 Posted: 1/8/2010 - 11:58

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

you're unlikely to find a connecting bus at night to Rach Gia. There will be plenty of early morning buses though. you'll have to take one of these to make it to the ferry since the trip takes at least 6 hours.

As for your backtracking to Saigon after your phu Quoc visit. I saw that you continue towards Cambodia (on the Cambodia forum). Why don't you cross from Ha Tien (or Rach Gia) into Cambodia via Kep . It will save you precious time and money. Besides that it a nice route to take. From Kep you can work your way up north to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

#7 Posted: 1/8/2010 - 14:31

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Right. Im in Kampot now...
    My original plan worked a treat, and i did use the Ha Tien crossing into Kep .
    Travelled from mui ne to Saigon Dep - 12 Arr - 6.30 ish
    Jumped into a travel agent and got a bus to Rach Gia that night at 9 and arrived in Rach Gia at 4am. Bought my Hydrofoil ticket at 5am and got to the island at about 10Am the same day.

Never actually had a plan work out so well without any hitches or hold ups. As for Phu Quoc to Kampot, again, just a simple connect from Ha tien through Kep and into Kampot.

Cheers for info.

#8 Posted: 7/8/2010 - 14:08

• Vietnam720

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2009
    Location Singapore

wow, this is cool. Thanks for sharing the info, 45Baht :)

#9 Posted: 7/8/2010 - 14:15

• damianshea

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2010

best place to stay in Phu Quoc is Mai House, French guy married to Vietnamese lady, laid back (service might be slow, but they mean well...), nice location, clean water, great food (try the fish ceviche and basically any other seafood)...it was so good I want to move in....

#10 Posted: 8/8/2010 - 08:10

• Advertisement

• renrendiaz

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2010

There is no way direct to Phu Quoc from Mui Ne than Saigon.I think you cannot do it in time.

#11 Posted: 28/8/2010 - 20:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.