Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam and Thailand in 3 weeks

• KJB29

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2010

My girl and I have 3 weeks in December to visit Thailand and Vietnam. I have been to Thailand before (Chan Mai, Phi Phi, Koh Samui, Railay Beach etc) but this will be hers and my first time to Vietnam. Can anyone give me some advice as what not to miss in Vietnam and Thailand (for her sake). The time is really not enough, but if anyone has any pointers and can offer up and suggestions it would be greatly welcomed.

#1 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 01:55

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I had a somewhat similar situation when I took my sweetie to Thailand for her first visit after I had already lived in the country for several years. For her sake, and for mine too, we decided to focus on a few areas that were new to me as well as to her. That way we got to discover those spots together.

I can't really speak for Vietnam, but for Thailand, given where you've already been and the relatively limited amount of time you have to spend, maybe you'd enjoy visits to places like Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya, and perhaps even Sukhothai. You can get a good sense of those spots in not too many days each, hopefully leaving enough time for Vietnam as well.

#2 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 05:05

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

THAILAND - try to get to Amphawa for a night or two. It's a small town on a river, and on the weekends they have a local-style floating market selling food, etc in the evenings. (It's not the typical touristy one selling cheap trinkets). It's a lovely place to stay, you get the chance to meet some real locals and the place really comes to life when the market opens up. (Fri/Sat night only I think). It's packed out with Thai tourists on the weekend, and hardly a westerner in site. It ended up being one of my favourite little discoveries.

Also - for a very quiet, remote island getaway where there is nothing to do but relax, snorkle and swim, go to Koh Kradan. It's easy to get to via Trang, on the mainland, and Trang is easy to get to from Krabi or Surat Thani.

Those would be my two picks for something a little bit off the beaten track.

VIETNAM - I would suggest Hanoi and Halong Bay, with Hoi An being the must-see place for you and your wife. All 3 are fairly touristy but given your limited time, they will give you a good taste of the northern Vietnam area. I can't comment on Sapa as I didn't make it there, but by all accounts it would be worth while.

#3 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 05:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Given that Patpog, Soi Cowboy and Nana are probably out - I think Lizzy's suggestions are good.

#4 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 21:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.