Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

From Phu Quoc to Saigon through the Mekong

• cartolamagi-
    ca

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006

Dilema:
    I will arrive in saigon on the 29th of december.
    My friends want to spend new year's at the beach (phu quoc) and i want to do the Mekong tour.
    I thought it would be ok if we fly over to phu quoc on the 30st and return with the boat via the mekong on the 2nd+3rd
    Apparently no one offers this way around... :( Has anyone done this? I don't mind flying to Rach Gia and then join an excursion...

the other option is to start the mekong excursion on the 30 and arrive at phu quoc on the 31st! seems a bit tight!
    comments???

thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 10/11/2006 - 19:28

• Advertisement

• DakLak

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2006

I suggest you fly to Phu Quoc (VietNam Airlines has a new schedule there that you will like) then get the ferry back to Rach Gia and the take local buses to Can Tho where you can view the market and join a tour.

#2 Posted: 10/11/2006 - 21:09

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Good advice from daklak there - also worth noting there is little need to do a tour of the Delta - it's easy enough to travel independently

#3 Posted: 11/11/2006 - 07:19

• cartolamagi-
    ca

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006

Thanks!
    I've been trying to find a bus schedule from Rach Gia to Can tho... but haven't been successful. Do you know where i can find one?
    We are traveling on a very short schedule... if buses don't run in convenient time, do you know if it's easy to hire a mini bus from Rach Gia to Can tho (4 people)?

#4 Posted: 11/11/2006 - 12:40

• DakLak

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2006

ASSUME early in the day! (07.00-08.00H)

For local buses (9 seaters carrying 17 people) assume VERY early.

You should be concentrating on your ROUTE as the buses in these areas just ply back and forth between major towns which is to say the bus starting in Rach Gia goes to a large town then turns about.

Given that it is the cool season (Mekong cool anyway) you could survive on a local bus - your baggage should be LOCKED to the luggage rack to prevent theft and then ROPED down to prevent movement.

#5 Posted: 11/11/2006 - 12:48

• DakLak

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2006

Sorry:

"We are traveling on a very short schedule... if buses don't run in convenient time, do you know if it's easy to hire a mini bus from Rach Gia to Can tho (4 people)?"

Answer - taxi.

#6 Posted: 11/11/2006 - 12:49

• epkhelt

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2006

We are arriving to HCMC the 23rd of December and were planning to go to Puh Quoc the 24th stay for 3 nights then take a boat to Rach Gia and then try to get a tour or privat minibus to see Mekong delta for two days. It seems tobe ahrd to get a bed at Puh Quoc during 24-27 th anyone that has something to recommend that could have free beds?

#7 Posted: 11/11/2006 - 16:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.