Vietnam forum

China Beach or Hoi An Beach?

• LindaLovela-
    ce

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2010
    Location Australia

Hi All,

I will be in the Danang/ Hoi An area in the first week of November.

I've been looking at accommodation and want to stay somewhere beachy (I dont mind spending up to around $150US a night). I cant decide between China Beach or Hoi An beach? Which is the better of the two locations? Gathering that the weather may not be ideal at that time of year, I'd prefer to stay somewhere with more activities/easy distance for day trips etc.

Thanks
    Linda

#1 Posted: 11/8/2010 - 11:46

• Advertisement

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Honestly, it's really the same beach. China Beach , as I understand, is just the nickname for the section of beach between Danang and Hoi An , and the beach just next to Hoi An has a different name, but it's all one strip of sand that is similar the whole way. I went up and down that stretch a handful of times a few months ago, and it all looks nice.

So you should really just look at the specific map locations for hotels you are looking at, as those two terms are probably just English-language marketing addresses rather than actual addresses.

The "China Beach" stretch has hotels that are more spread apart, including a few new ones currently being built. I'd imagine that if you were staying at one of those places you'd be tempted to stay there the whole time since most of them aren't even walking distance apart. And seriously there is nothing else around there for tourists, or even locals. (It's prone to flooding so people live farther inland)

On the other hand, the beach just near Hoi An has several similar resorts on it, but they are next to each other, and there is quite a nice little village there with a few different bars and restaurants plus a public beach. If your hotel is reasonably close to that cluster I'd think you'd have many more options for everything.

Also, Hoi An itself is a wonderful (and touristy) city that you'll want to explore, and probably try some restaurants in, for sure. So I might look for one of those resorts nearest that cluster of things close to Hoi An, unless you prefer the solitude of the China Beach stretch.

#2 Posted: 11/8/2010 - 15:57

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I agree that Hoi An 's Cua Dai beach has it all over China Beach, but Cua Dai is somewhat isolated from Hoi An Town - too isolated for me. When I'm in Hoi An, I prefer staying in town and then cycling down to Cua Dai when I want beach time.

#3 Posted: 12/8/2010 - 01:23

• mckayb

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2010
    Location Canada

Posted from within Vietnam.

I just took a moto taxi from Hoi An to Cu dai beach for 15000 dong...Cue dai beach was great.

#4 Posted: 12/8/2010 - 17:53

• LindaLovela-
    ce

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2010
    Location Australia

Thanks for your help! I feel a little daft that I didnt realise it was all one stretch of beach!

Managed to find a good deal for the Golden Sands at Cua Dai Beach! Cant wait - all I have to do now is pray for good weather!

#5 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 07:22

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

November is the middle of monsoon season in Central Vietnam - so expect rough weather, rain & storms. Every year getting rougher! Good for surfing if you can find a surf board to rent! not much else.

#6 Posted: 15/8/2010 - 06:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Shanghai to China Beach!? ... By biophlame on 18 Dec 2009 2 2130 18 Dec 2009
Thanh Chau Hotel : China Beach ... By Thanhchauhotel on 1 Dec 2006 0 3134 1 Dec 2006
Transport or distance from Klong Muang Beach to Railay Beach ... By sugarplum on 23 Feb 2007 1 4022 23 Feb 2007
New Beach Club in Hoi An (La Plage at An Bang Beach) ... By samiam1999 on 6 Aug 2009 2 6555 29 Nov 2011