Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Airlines for a long distance flight?

Posted by Hemsi on 12/8/2010 at 03:09

Hi everybody,

after our last trip to Vietnam in May/June this year we're already into planning the next one ;-) Now, I found a very good offer for a non-stop return flight (Frankfurt-Saigon) with Vietnam Airlines. That's an 11,5-13h flight ... has anyone made any experience with this airline on long-distance flights? Would you recommend it in terms of safety/comfort/etc.?

On our last trip we flew with Vietnam Airlines from Saigon to Nha Trang, that was absolutely ok ... but it was only a one hour flight.

Thanks!

#1 Hemsi has been a member since 6/3/2010. Posts: 16

Posted by NYTim on 12/8/2010 at 07:29

I have flown Vietnam Airlines many times within Vietnam. I would suspect that your flight will be handled by another carrier using a code share with Vietnam Airlines. If indeed it is Vietnam Airlines they are very good. Hope this helps.

#2 NYTim has been a member since 11/9/2009. Posts: 106

Posted by daawgon on 13/8/2010 at 11:31

NYTim is incorrect, Vietnam Air flies to FRA, CDG and SVO in Europe with their own metal - B777-200. I've only flown VN on domestic routes so far, so I can't comment. I did find a trip report for a chap who flew them on the Sydney-Saigon route:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/150862

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,093

Posted by Hemsi on 15/8/2010 at 22:54

Thanks for your answers. We're simply going to test it, we've just booked our tickets Frankfurt-Saigon (direct). Let's hope, we won't regret it ;-)

#4 Hemsi has been a member since 6/3/2010. Posts: 16

Posted by MADMAC on 15/8/2010 at 23:23

Hemsi
Let us know how it is after the flight. I took a Taiwanese airline on my flight to the states, and was v ery pleasantly surprised at how good it was in all aspects (except for the tortuous duration).

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by SBE on 15/8/2010 at 23:55

I flew Vietnam Airlines to Europe a few years ago (BKK-CDG return).

The planes were new with individual TV screens, the cabin crew were charming and the food was good too if I remember right. I was very pleasantly surprised. The only thing I didn't like (which won't affect you) was the 4 hour layover in Ho Ch Minh both ways.

The following year there was an 8 hour wait for the connecting flight to BKK... that's the only reason I didn't use the airline again.

#6 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,003
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by NYTim on 16/8/2010 at 00:30

I love four hour layovers in Asia. Give me time to up my beer supply before I board.

#7 NYTim has been a member since 11/9/2009. Posts: 106

Posted by SBE on 16/8/2010 at 00:43

Can't you get beer on arrival? I find it frustrating to look down as we fly over my destination and know it's still going to be hours before I get there.

Pity they don't offer parachutes.

#8 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,003
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by kptn82 on 20/8/2010 at 11:50

I'm Vietnamese, I flight from Aust to VN almost yearly but I only flew VN Airline once. (a a few times domestically).

The flight is 7-8hr and its not too bad, as im not very fussy and I can speak the languague.

One thing i absolutely hate about VN Airline - their smileless flight atttendant! Because majority of the attendants have connections. Without connection or something related, you woudln't be able to qualify for a job there. Also, I have seen the *b!tching, rude staff telling passenger off. If you think that US attendant is bad, wait till you meet an irate VN airline attendant

Here's an article about VN Airline
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/traveller-tips/flight-test-vietnam-airlines-economy-class-20100715-10cbo.html

#9 kptn82 has been a member since 24/9/2007. Posts: 22
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.