Vietnam forum

buying a cub.ho chi minh/hanoi

• valis

Click here to learn more about valis
    Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

hello all.

im going to vietnam for 2 months,im flying to ho chi minh on november the 28th and flying back from hanoi on jan 30th.

i dont know yet if il go to cambodia and laos or just stay in vietnam.

anyway i would like to get a honda cub for my travels,i know these little bikes are pretty bullit proof.

i usualy ride a 600 bandit but im strangley enough attracted to the cub,preferably the 90cc.

are thse bikes easy to come accross in ho chi minh,and how mutch should i pay for one?

i see most of the minsks are going for around the $300 mark,hopfully the cub should be a bit cheeper.

#1 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 03:46

• Advertisement

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I would do far more research. It's not just a case of picking a bike up. Even taking a bike across borders isn't a case of just doing so. Difficult without the paperwork being in order. Plus of course licensing and insurance issues. Lots gloss over the insurance and licensing aspect and yes, you might be lucky and not have an accident or get involved with the Police but if you do, expect to pay out big money as the insurance in Vietnam is not worth the paper it is written on (max liability is about $2k USD). Indeed some web sites that do bike tours openly admit this and say 'that they like to say there is no insurance'. Too much paperwork involved............

And of course if you get stopped by the Police (they are fairly active in HCMC nowadays), without the correct paperwork, the bike is an immediate 'on the lorry' job. How you continue your journey is your problem. How do I know this? Simple, my better half managed to get my scooter seized for a month for speeding and riding in the wrong lane! She had to get the bus back (30km).

And if you are expecting road conditions to be civilised....dream on. But who am I to stop you. If you are going up and down hills the bigger the bike, the better. Yes, smaller bikes might get up there eventually but they will labour up them. Bigger is better. bearing in mind it will be chilly in Hanoi, roasted in HCMC. You'll need good maps etc as the signage leaves a lot to be desired in many places. Bike repairs are fairly cheap but it does depend on your bargaining skills.

Carefully choose who you buy the bike from, give it a good check over and make sure you go with a Vietnamese. As soon as a foreigner walks in, the $$$$ signs light up in the sellers eyes. You become their good RICH friend! It's one reason Minsks are popular as most are sold by foreigners to foreigners. Most Vietnamese would have a scooter anyday! Have fun!

#2 Posted: 20/8/2010 - 09:19

• valis

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

thanks for the info.
    im not sure what to do now to be honest,i think i will just go to ho chi minh and chill for as long as it takes to decide which mode of transport to use for the trip.i have a full uk motorcycle licence and years of riding experience pluss i can service the bike myself but il just go there and chill and see what happens,ive plenty time and am in no hurry.
    things may also be depending on money so il have to do a bit more research on price comparisons between bus,train or bike.and if i do go for one which type.

#3 Posted: 7/9/2010 - 03:34

• valis

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

thanks for the info.
    im not sure what to do now to be honest,i think i will just go to ho chi minh and chill for as long as it takes to decide which mode of transport to use for the trip.i have a full uk motorcycle licence and years of riding experience pluss i can service the bike myself but il just go there and chill and see what happens,ive plenty time and am in no hurry.
    things may also be depending on money so il have to do a bit more research on price comparisons between bus,train or bike.and if i do go for one which type.

#4 Posted: 7/9/2010 - 03:35

• saggie

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2010
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

the cub can be slowwww and the seat will make you have a sore bum very soon than you though... That's why Minks are perfect! I saw Minks selling with cheaper rates before, and it's more ideal for the trip you went. Met a young French couple a few weeks ago in LaVie Vu Linh in Yen Bai and they were doing a trip to the South on Minks.

For more information of motorbiking, I will recommend you to join the Minsk Club Hanoi site to ask people about riding. Or speak to Cuong motorbike shop on 1 Luong Ngoc Quyen st. (Hanoi) to rent your bike if you decide to do it one part not the whole country. Cuong is great, he can handle problems whenever you are and very flexible.

Your license is not valid in Vietnam, but low chance police are going to stop you cause they can not speak English anyway (or very little and if you keep saying you dont understand, they would get bored and let you go). Beside Minks, the next bike which worth it is Honda Future Neo, this bike is steady, easy to fix, cheap to change stuffs if you have problems, small and light enough. it is 110cc.

We use GPS everytime we are on motorbike trip and it really helpful.
    if you start from Hanoi, check out www.newhanoian.com and go into listing parts, expats sell and buy bikes pretty often on this site.

#5 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 15:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

There is a strange fascination with smaller bikes in SEA. I mean, for the people here they are cheap, and money is tight. But with backpackers they seem averse to larger bikes and attracted to smaller bikes. Of course, I understand that in Vietnam there is a CC limit so smaller bikes are the only option. But even here in Thailand, among the transient community I see that same fascination.

#6 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 18:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.