Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

HCMC to Siem Reap in 7 days

• Camcam

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2010

Hi fellow backpackers!

I will be travelling from HCMC to Siem Reap in September for one week on my own.
    I would like to do it the untourist way, trying to meet other backpackers along the way.

I was thinking of the following itinerary:
    -1 night in HCM
    -1 night in Cao Lanh or Can Tho or Chau Doc
    -1 night on my way to Siem Reap
    -then 2 or 3 night in Siem Reap/Angkor Wat.

What do you think?
    Would you add more of HCMC? I was said it is easy to meet people in SR hence the choice, but please share your views!
    Which of Cao Lanh or Can Tho or Chau Doc would you advise most?
    Any suggestions for a stop over on the way to Siem Reap apart from Phnom Penh where I have already been?

That will be my first backpacking trip on my own as a 24yo French girl, so any tips is welcome!

Many thanks in advance!

Cam

#1 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 18:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hmmm, it's going to be tight. Bear in mind you'll meet lots of peeps in Saigon as well.

Both Can Tho and Chau Doc are worth a visit, but if you go to Can Tho then you're best to do a boat trip the following morning to the floating markets. From there you could leave around midday with a bus to Chau Doc (for the boat to Phnom Penh ) but you'd need to overnight in Chau Doc as the boat goes in the morning. As long as you didn't arrive too late in Phnom Penh you could push onwards with a bus to Siem Reap the same day, but it's all becoming a bit of a rush.

If time was no issue, I'd recommend Can Tho because the floating markets are great, but given your timing, I'd say Chau Doc and do a very early morning boat trip out from Chau Doc before getting the speedboat to Phnom Penh. That way it works out something like:

day 1: Arrive Saigon
    2: morning bus to Chau Doc, hang out.
    3: Early morning boat trip out of Chau Doc, followed by speedboat to Phnom Penh and bus to Siem Reap (bah this is a long day - I'd prefer to overnight in Phnom Penh)
    4,5,6: Siem Reap
    7: Bus back to Saigon (takes most of the day)

The other option would be to do an organised Saigon to Phnom Penh tour out of Saigon, I don't normally recommend this kinda thing, but would probably work well with your timing.

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 08:22

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

"I would like to do it the untourist way, trying to meet other backpackers along the way."

That sounds like a contradiction to me.

For the rest I agree with Somtam. And you will meet plenty of backpackers all along the way so you'll have a great trip. Perhaps 7 days is a bit short.

#3 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 18:08

• Camcam

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2010

Thanks for your replies to both of you guys.
    By "the untourist way" I meant not and if possible away from the group of tourists like in Halong Bay where it is just ridiculous. You have to follow one another, eat when they decide and all the rest as if you were a 10 year old.
    Point taken for my trip to involve too much travelling. This is exactly why I asked for advice :)
    I will fly from Siem Reap so I don't have to go back to Saigon, which saves me one day.
    A shame time and budget are not extensible though ;)

#4 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 19:41

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

If you fly out from Siem Reap definitely follow Somtam's advise and spend a night in Can Tho and get a better feel for the Mekong delta.
    As he points out the floating market(s) is great to see in the early morning. Find a few other backpackers and hire a small boat on the riverfront (arrange that the evening before) through one of the ladies there.
    In the afternoon you could take a boat to Chau Doc and continue from there.
    You could also try to do Cantho to Phnom Penh in one day (instead of overnight in Chau Doc). If you don't make it, then stay in Chau Doc and continue with Somtam's suggestion. Myself I would prefer to spend the night in Phnom Penh rather than in Chau Doc.

happy travels

#5 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 20:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
HCMC - Siem Reap in 1,5 days ... By rubenaybar on 13 Nov 2010 1 2432 13 Nov 2010
Siem Reap-Battamburg-Phnomh Penh-Kep-Siem Reap Possible in 9 or 10 days?? ... By sharoonie on 12 Dec 2011 6 3955 13 Dec 2011
Siem Reap to HCMC ... By jdahm17 on 17 Aug 2009 2 2045 18 Aug 2009
bus from HCMC to Siem Reap ... By paradise on 9 Feb 2009 3 3644 12 Feb 2009
HCMC to Siem Reap Flight ... By gschwarz9981 on 27 Jul 2009 2 2237 27 Jul 2009
Travel from HCMC to Siem Reap ... By Patrickx8 on 27 Oct 2008 3 2640 27 Oct 2008
Flights from Siem Reap to HCMC ... By ms1892 on 26 Dec 2009 2 3301 28 Dec 2009
flight HCMC to Siem Reap ... By LindaBuskin on 5 Feb 2009 9 4431 27 Jul 2009
Itinerary Help: Siem reap to HCMC ... By SoloGirls on 13 Jan 2014 9 1415 19 Jan 2014
Travel from Siem Reap to HCMC ... By Patrickx8 on 13 Sep 2008 2 2282 14 Sep 2008