Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

how far from Hanoi Airport to Hoan Kiem district?

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

hi there,

Just wanting to find out how far from Hanoi Airport to Hoan Kiem district? And what would I expect to pay for transportation there? I will be there very late December 2006.

#1 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 21:39

• Advertisement

• TessaW

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006

Hi - it is quite a long way from the airport to downtown Hanoi (Hoan Kiem lake). I would say it takes around 45 minutes, maybe even an hour, depending on traffic. Take a taxi from outside the airport, just insist that they put the meter on. It should cost around 200,000-300,000 VND (less than £10-15) from memory. This is quite pricey for VN taxis!

#2 Posted: 14/11/2006 - 01:01

• DakLak

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2006

46 kilometres (road) recommended No 7 a little further.

Avoid taxi's, answer NO questions about your hotel - take the No. 7 or the VietNam Airlines mini-buss.

No 7 = 30 CENTS; VN bus = USD$2! HaNoi taxis are the lowest form of life in VN. I live in VN and I know what these bums are like.

They 'flick' the meter and add 10,000 -20,000 Dong; they work the hotel switch scam - they know more tricks than a London cabbie.

What is very late?

If you really, really have to take a cab JUST SAY "HOAN KIEM LAKE" (or just HOAN KIEM) - NO HOTEL NAME until you cross the bridge over the Red River and enter the city.

Allow NO cell calls, either. What they do is to call ahead and one of their crooked friends awaits outside your hotel and when you show up he runs out and says "NO ROOM - Please go to this other hotel" - which is a cheap one that pays commission.

And watch that meter - BETTER TO FIX THE PRICE (everything in) for USD$10.

#3 Posted: 14/11/2006 - 02:31

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006

thanks folks,

Late refers to the date, I plan to arrive in Hanoi 30th december.

So if I understand correctly, I can take a bus for between 30c to US$2 or a taxi for around US$10?

The efish guides recommend a lot of cheap (but nice) places (

#4 Posted: 14/11/2006 - 11:06

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006

(

#5 Posted: 14/11/2006 - 11:08

• Burdock

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2006

Posted from within Vietnam.

The time depends a lot on the traffic but it's not far.

The number 7 bus will actually take you only to the Kim Ma bus station. They will only take VND, so make sure you have something small - no more than a 20,000 bill for the 3,000 fare. You may be able to get change for something bigger, but it will be easier with small change. Browse around the different stations inside the airport if you need to change money. They don't all have the same rates but the last time I had to change USD out there I got a better rate there than the hotels were offering.

You'll have to take a taxi from Kim Ma to Hoan Kiem - about another 30-50,000 VND, depending on what taxi company. They have differing rates. If you like walking and can read a map, that's possible from the bus station to Hoan Kiem. About 20-30 minutes by foot. Just be ready to turn down the numerous offers for a lift from motorbike taxis (xe oms).

I've never had that much trouble with taxis from the airport, though I go to a residential address, not a hotel. My recommendation would be to use Noi Bai taxi company. They line up in the first few stalls outside the airport. $10 US flat rate to the city (or 150,000 VND) is what I paid this week - the standard rate even though it's the height of APEC. I'm not affiliated with Noi Bai but it's the one my organization always uses.

#6 Posted: 18/11/2006 - 20:21

• jordanclay

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2006

Hi folks
    I`m looking forward to my first trip to Hanoi in April and am looking forward to going to Halong Bay. As it is something I am looking forward to a lot I dont mind paying a bit more and it seems that Tropical Sails are one of the better options although on their website a one night trip with cabin for a single will be upwards of $200. Would this be the price if I booked when I arrive in April and would it be better to wait until then? There are so many operators selling this trip it seems a bit of a trial sorting a good one out.
    One other thing; as I arrive at the Easter weekend is it liable to be any busier or does it make no difference in Vietnam.
    Thanks

#7 Posted: 20/11/2006 - 02:52

• jordanclay

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2006

Hi folks
    I`m looking forward to my first trip to Hanoi in April and am looking forward to going to Halong Bay. As it is something I am looking forward to a lot I dont mind paying a bit more and it seems that Tropical Sails are one of the better options although on their website a one night trip with cabin for a single will be upwards of $200. Would this be the price if I booked when I arrive in April and would it be better to wait until then? There are so many operators selling this trip it seems a bit of a trial sorting a good one out.
    One other thing; as I arrive at the Easter weekend is it liable to be any busier or does it make no difference in Vietnam.
    Thanks

#8 Posted: 20/11/2006 - 02:52

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006

thanks to everyone that replied!

Given that we touch down in Hanoi at 830pm, we will probably get a taxi. I will keep a look out for Noi Bai and carry small change!

#9 Posted: 29/11/2006 - 21:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hoan Kiem Hostel ... By hoankiemhostel on 12 Jan 2013 0 709 12 Jan 2013
Anybody know accomodation at Dong Da District Hanoi ... By doraemon on 5 Mar 2008 7 2282 20 Mar 2008