Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Going Fansipan Trekking 13 Nov to 21 Nov 2010, need help!

• SKYWalkersSG

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2010

Hi all,

We are a group of 20 experienced hikers from Singapore (been to Mt. Kinabalu, Mt. Rinjani). we want to trek Mt. Fansipan, and our air tickets are booked.

We intend to do this:
    13 Nov (Sat) - Arrive in Ha Noi, go to Ha Noi railway station, board train to Lao Cai

14 Nov (Sun) - Arrive in Lao Cai, go to Bac Ha Sunday market, look around
    After that, proceed to Sa Pa, stay overnight.
    15 Nov (Mon) - Start Fansipan Trekking
    16 Nov (Tue) - Fansipan Trekking
    17 Nov (Wed) - finish trekking, go back to Sa Pa, stay overnight at Sa Pa
    18 Nov (Thu) - Hmong village tour, cultural tour of local tribes, etc, cycling? stay overnight at Sa Pa
    19 Nov (Fri) - Proceed to Lao Cai, cross border into China, look around,
    board train to Ha Noi
    20 Nov (Sat) - Ha Noi free and easy
    21 Nov (Sun) - half day Ha Noi free and easy, fly back home.

Can anyone advise, is it feasible to do the pre-Fansipan portion ala backpacking/free and easy style without engaging travel agents?
    I've been to Vietnam backpacking twice, I just worry about availability of train tickets since I am bringing a large group.

Which agent is recommended for Fansipan trekking?

Is it advisable to look for travel agents in Sapa directly? Would booking the agent through internet be more expensive?

Thanks folks!
    Eric Lee

#1 Posted: 2/9/2010 - 11:03

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Posted from within Vietnam.

Train tickets - Sapa trains get booked up really early. I think this may be because the travel agents buy them up. Anyway, it might be quieter in November but I'd still say that the chances of turning up in Hanoi, buying a ticket and getting on a train that evening are close to Nil. So you will need to book in advance. There are plenty of travel agents that sell tickets but I'm not sure whether they will take an email booking as they will want payment. Have a look around. Your best bet might be to book one of the fancy carriages - a bit more pricey but at least you'd have a ticket. Try www.livitrans.com - $33 each way.

Bac Ha - note that the last bus from Bac Ha back to Lao Cai is at about 1pm.

I looked into Fansipan treks a bit but haven't done one so I'm not sure if it's feasible to do it yourself. I would think it's unlikely. A private tour for just your group will probably cost about $60+ per person.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you ask about whether travel agents in Sapa will be more expensive. Do you mean for Fansipan or the whole trip?

And China - I don't know if there's a lot to see just over the border. Do you need visas for China / Vietnam (being from Singapore)? If not then I guess it's worth a look! It would be pretty expensive thing to do if you needed visas though.

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 2/9/2010 - 18:53

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

agree with sarah on most things.

Why don't you try to find an agent that can organize the trek for you AND buy the traintickets?

For a big group with a tight schedule I would certainly pay an extra $10 for the convenience and certainty. Any big reputable agent or operator can sort these things out. Just tell them you don't want a tour, just the tickets and guides for the trek

#3 Posted: 2/9/2010 - 19:51

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Posted from within Vietnam.

The two Sapa agencies I've had dealings with are Sapa Travel Mate (contact Jennifer Huyen on toursapa.vn@gmail.com) and Vietnam Nomad Trails Ltd (Thanh Tan on nomadtrail@gmail.com). They are both very helpful and responsive on email so might be worth contacting them to see what they can offer. There's also Handspan but they're a bit pricier www.handspan.com.

#4 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 09:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trekking Fansipan without tour ... By roger_sh on 24 Jan 2009 0 1504 24 Jan 2009
Sapa: Trekking and homestay or climb mt Fansipan? (or both?) ... By mmoody on 7 Dec 2013 9 1258 15 Jan 2014