Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Cookery class recommendations? Hue and Hoi An

• ruthabelle

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2010

Hello

I'd love a recommendation for a Vietnamese cookery class in either Hue or Hoi An. I'm a really keen cook so I'd like something hands on, not just demonstrations. Has anyone had a good experience?

Thank you!

Ruth

#1 Posted: 14/9/2010 - 02:22

• Advertisement

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

The food is great in both Hue and Hoi An , but it seems like the cooking-class industry is much bigger in Hoi An, plus most of us think it's a nicer town as well.

I was in Hoi An a few months ago and I discovered that many of the restaurants along the river run more of the demonstration-style classes, with half-day fees starting around US$25, including a trip to the market (which you can easily do on your own). Later I found that my favorite restaurant, which is admittedly a bit out of the way, does one-on-one classes for US$5 plus the price of the meal they teach you to prepare. I wrote about the experience, with photos, on my site.

Taking a cheap cooking class in Hoi An

There are other similar personal classes like this if you look around, and I highly recommend the one I did, plus that restaurant in general: Café 43.

#2 Posted: 14/9/2010 - 08:42

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

I did a class at Red bridge restaurant a few years ago and enjoyed the class and the food. You go to the market, go by boat down to the restaurant and then do a hands on class then eat. You book through Hai's cafe in town.

There seem to be lots of other classes in Hoi An but I don't know of any in Hue (also a popular city and definitely my favourite.)

#3 Posted: 14/9/2010 - 08:53

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

My vote would go to the Morning Glory restaurant in Hoi An. I ate there a couple of times and thought the food was fantastic. Not sure of the price but the class I saw doing there thing was small and hands on
    cheers

#4 Posted: 14/9/2010 - 11:07

• ruthabelle

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2010

Thanks everyone, I'll look into all of those.

#5 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 05:23

• sanpedro

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2009

I would recommend Gioan restaurant - 94B Bach Dang St. You pick 3 meals on the menu, cook them eat them, and get the recipe. Vina who taught us has a great sesne of humour and it really is a fun experience. This place is great if you only have an hour or so rather than half a day to spend on cooking class.

#6 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 20:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.