Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Cookery class recommendations? Hue and Hoi An

Posted by ruthabelle on 14/9/2010 at 02:22

Hello

I'd love a recommendation for a Vietnamese cookery class in either Hue or Hoi An. I'm a really keen cook so I'd like something hands on, not just demonstrations. Has anyone had a good experience?

Thank you!

Ruth

#1 ruthabelle has been a member since 14/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by rawjer on 14/9/2010 at 08:42

The food is great in both Hue and Hoi An , but it seems like the cooking-class industry is much bigger in Hoi An, plus most of us think it's a nicer town as well.

I was in Hoi An a few months ago and I discovered that many of the restaurants along the river run more of the demonstration-style classes, with half-day fees starting around US$25, including a trip to the market (which you can easily do on your own). Later I found that my favorite restaurant, which is admittedly a bit out of the way, does one-on-one classes for US$5 plus the price of the meal they teach you to prepare. I wrote about the experience, with photos, on my site.

Taking a cheap cooking class in Hoi An

There are other similar personal classes like this if you look around, and I highly recommend the one I did, plus that restaurant in general: Café 43.

#2 rawjer has been a member since 20/1/2010. Posts: 104
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by violets on 14/9/2010 at 08:53

I did a class at Red bridge restaurant a few years ago and enjoyed the class and the food. You go to the market, go by boat down to the restaurant and then do a hands on class then eat. You book through Hai's cafe in town.

There seem to be lots of other classes in Hoi An but I don't know of any in Hue (also a popular city and definitely my favourite.)

#3 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Posted by swag on 14/9/2010 at 11:07

My vote would go to the Morning Glory restaurant in Hoi An. I ate there a couple of times and thought the food was fantastic. Not sure of the price but the class I saw doing there thing was small and hands on
cheers

#4 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 330

Posted by ruthabelle on 15/9/2010 at 05:23

Thanks everyone, I'll look into all of those.

#5 ruthabelle has been a member since 14/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by sanpedro on 29/9/2010 at 20:22

I would recommend Gioan restaurant - 94B Bach Dang St. You pick 3 meals on the menu, cook them eat them, and get the recipe. Vina who taught us has a great sesne of humour and it really is a fun experience. This place is great if you only have an hour or so rather than half a day to spend on cooking class.

#6 sanpedro has been a member since 29/9/2009. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.