Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Xmas/New Year Honeymoon Cambodia and Vietnam

• rose51

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2009

Last year we used the Travel Fish website & forum to plan a month in Thailand and it was so helpful. We had the most amazing trip - in fact so amazing my partner proposed in Koh Yao Noi and we got married back in the UK two weeks ago! We are now planning a month in Vietnam and Cambodia for our honeymoon in December and so we are back on this site to plan!

Originally we had hoped to travel through Cambodia and Vietnam for 3 and half weeks ending up in Hanoi before flying to Hong Kong for New Year's eve for a spectacular finale to our honeymoon. However flight prices to and from Hong Kong at this time of year now look too expensive. Also whenever in the past we have tried to go to a big city fireworks display in other countries its always been disappointing because we've not been able to get a good view or its too crowded, so are nervous at the idea of spending a lot and being disappointed. Last year in London we headed home early and saw in the new year on the Tube!! We'd really like to avoid our new year eve jinx this time round if we can and come up with an alternative plan.

What do people think about the idea of us foregoing Hong Kong and spending the last few days of the trip celebrating New Year and the end of our honeymoon in Hanoi / Halong Bay? We could always go to Hong Kong another time. We don't need a firework display to celebrate but it would be good to end the honeymoon on a high - with drinks somewhere amazing, whether it be on a boat or a bar. I'd welcome any suggestions.

#1 Posted: 18/9/2010 - 10:17

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

While I agree with your plan of foregoing Hong Kong I don't really see new year's eve in Hanoi or Halong bay as a suitable substitution.

New Year's is not really a big party day for Vietnamese and for a special evening those two mentioned places are not that great.
    My objections are these:
    - Hanoi is the heart of communist Vietnam and it certainly doesn't cater that well for western holidays. There may be some fireworks for tourists but overall atmosphere is not special. Perhaps go to a party at one of the big hotels (Sofitel or so).
    - Halong Bay sees mostly asian/chinese tourists so that also won't cater for New Year's. Most tours in the Bay (if you want to spend that evening on the water) are budget or mid budget and whilst perfectly fine they probably do not have many extras for that night. You may have to look at a very exclusive boat hire that will make it a very special evening. Off course it will cost you dear but my guess is that's worth it.

My choices would be either:
    - Nha Trang. Lots of westerners converge there for a (beach)party
    - HCMC. Far more western oriented than Hanoi and with a few very good party places with good vibes for the evening. The rooftop bar of Sheraton (floor 26), or the bar at Caravelle are amazing places to watch the city at any day. Classy affairs but the setting is very special on new year's with band and so on.

good luck

#2 Posted: 18/9/2010 - 16:15

• rose51

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2009

Thanks very much for your advice. In the end we realised how much money we would save by not including new year's eve in our trip. We're flying back home a few days before on a much cheaper return flight. The attempt at finding the illusive perfect new year's eve experience will have to wait yet another year!

#3 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 10:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Where to go for Xmas and New Year in Cambodia ... By Doyledan on 1 Dec 2012 0 1458 1 Dec 2012
Xmas & New Year Hue and Hoi An ... By kayewhite on 12 Jan 2010 0 2632 12 Jan 2010
Xmas and New Year in Thailand ... By mrkarlholland on 5 Nov 2008 1 1708 7 Nov 2008
Around Saigon during Xmas and New Year's ... By uncannyherbie on 9 Nov 2009 4 1423 30 Dec 2009
Xmas and New Year in Thailand ... By Daisy32 on 3 Nov 2010 4 2077 11 Nov 2010
Ko Pha Ngan at Xmas & New Year time ... By MILKDOG on 3 Jul 2006 5 1889 5 Jul 2006
Honeymoon in Vietnam or Cambodia? ... By jonice08 on 16 Dec 2009 6 3607 16 Sep 2010
travelling thailand with 12 yr old for xmas and new year, best places to visit. ... By aynat73 on 13 Oct 2009 3 1827 13 Oct 2009
Where to Honeymoon for a few days followed by a year of backpacking? ... By jenniemcmartin on 24 Jun 2008 3 1578 10 Jul 2008