Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Thailand-Vietnam-Cambodia itinirary help!

• selinsay

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2010

Hello Everyone!
    we're a couple planning to visit Thailand Vietnam Cambodia for 16 days through the fallowing itiniray:

Bangkok- 3 days
    (by flight) Hanoi+Halong Bay 3 days
    (by train ) DaNanag+Hoi An 3 days
    (by flight) HCMC+mekokng 3 days
    PP 1 day
    Siem Reap 2 days
    (by bus) Bangkok 1 day

I know it's a rush but I can't decide from where I should take days off. Instead I try to find time for Dalat!
    I would really appreciate if you can comment on it with your valuable experience..

Thank you all very much in advance!

Selin

#1 Posted: 19/9/2010 - 12:07

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Unless you have some special reason to go to Dalat I would keep it like it is and skip Dalat.

Although a pleasant place it's not in the same league as all the other places you've mentioned which are "must see" places.
    Your itinerary is already rushed. No point in making it more rushed by trying to fit Dalat in.

If you have a special reason for Dalat and put a gun to my head: a day less in Bangkok.

#2 Posted: 19/9/2010 - 16:00

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I agree on missing out Dalat. The scenery's great but you'd need to find a day or so for the extra travel it will involve and then at least a day there and as eastwest says, the other places are more must sees.

Once you build in your travel time to the itinerary you really are tight on time - depending on whether you eat up a day of Bangkok or Hanoi with your flight, that maybe limits you to just a one day in Halong, which is a very long day. I just tried to work it out with travel included and couldn't make it fit into 16 days even on a tight travel schedule.....

Days 1 and 2 Bangkok
    Day 3 flight to Hanoi
    Day 4 Hanoi
    Days 5 & 6 Halong with an overnight train to Danang
    Days 7 & 8 Hoi An (skip straight through Danang)
    Day 9 flight to HCMC
    Days 10 - 11 HCMC and 1 day in Mekong
    Day 12 - Travel to PP
    Day 13 - PP
    Day 14 - Travel to SR
    Days 15 & 16 - SR
    Day 17 - Travel to Bangkok

Not sure you could cut any more out of that! Although unless you want to see S21 prison and the Killing fields I'd be tempted to skip through PP. I'm sure someone will argue about that but it was one of my least favourite places.

#3 Posted: 19/9/2010 - 17:15

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

If you'll be getting back to Bangkok at the end of the trip you could always take off earlier, like day 2. That way you've got that extra day in your pocket throughout the trip and if you don't use it by the end then you've got that day in Bangkok anyway.

#4 Posted: 19/9/2010 - 19:43

• selinsay

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2010

Dear Eastwest, travellingsara and caseyprich;

thank you for your helpful ideas and quick comments !..

Ok, I will not considering squeezing Dalat in this itinirary ( although I've read numuerous wonderful feedbacks ..) and taking a day off from PP might be an option...

I'll be consulting again for your comments if something comes up...

thank you very much again!

selin

#5 Posted: 19/9/2010 - 23:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.