Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Thailand-Vietnam-Cambodia itinirary help!

Posted by selinsay on 19/9/2010 at 12:07

Hello Everyone!
we're a couple planning to visit Thailand Vietnam Cambodia for 16 days through the fallowing itiniray:

Bangkok- 3 days
(by flight) Hanoi+Halong Bay 3 days
(by train ) DaNanag+Hoi An 3 days
(by flight) HCMC+mekokng 3 days
PP 1 day
Siem Reap 2 days
(by bus) Bangkok 1 day

I know it's a rush but I can't decide from where I should take days off. Instead I try to find time for Dalat!
I would really appreciate if you can comment on it with your valuable experience..

Thank you all very much in advance!

Selin

#1 selinsay has been a member since 19/9/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by eastwest on 19/9/2010 at 16:00

Unless you have some special reason to go to Dalat I would keep it like it is and skip Dalat.

Although a pleasant place it's not in the same league as all the other places you've mentioned which are "must see" places.
Your itinerary is already rushed. No point in making it more rushed by trying to fit Dalat in.

If you have a special reason for Dalat and put a gun to my head: a day less in Bangkok.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by travellingsarah on 19/9/2010 at 17:15 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

I agree on missing out Dalat. The scenery's great but you'd need to find a day or so for the extra travel it will involve and then at least a day there and as eastwest says, the other places are more must sees.

Once you build in your travel time to the itinerary you really are tight on time - depending on whether you eat up a day of Bangkok or Hanoi with your flight, that maybe limits you to just a one day in Halong, which is a very long day. I just tried to work it out with travel included and couldn't make it fit into 16 days even on a tight travel schedule.....

Days 1 and 2 Bangkok
Day 3 flight to Hanoi
Day 4 Hanoi
Days 5 & 6 Halong with an overnight train to Danang
Days 7 & 8 Hoi An (skip straight through Danang)
Day 9 flight to HCMC
Days 10 - 11 HCMC and 1 day in Mekong
Day 12 - Travel to PP
Day 13 - PP
Day 14 - Travel to SR
Days 15 & 16 - SR
Day 17 - Travel to Bangkok

Not sure you could cut any more out of that! Although unless you want to see S21 prison and the Killing fields I'd be tempted to skip through PP. I'm sure someone will argue about that but it was one of my least favourite places.

#3 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by caseyprich on 19/9/2010 at 19:43

If you'll be getting back to Bangkok at the end of the trip you could always take off earlier, like day 2. That way you've got that extra day in your pocket throughout the trip and if you don't use it by the end then you've got that day in Bangkok anyway.

#4 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by selinsay on 19/9/2010 at 23:09

Dear Eastwest, travellingsara and caseyprich;

thank you for your helpful ideas and quick comments !..

Ok, I will not considering squeezing Dalat in this itinirary ( although I've read numuerous wonderful feedbacks ..) and taking a day off from PP might be an option...

I'll be consulting again for your comments if something comes up...

thank you very much again!

selin

#5 selinsay has been a member since 19/9/2010. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.