Vietnam forum

jabs for traveling vietnam

• valis

Click here to learn more about valis
    Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

hello all.

im traveling thrue vietnam dec/jan and so far i have had hepititis a and b,typhoid,tetnis and my first rabies shot.

the thing is the nurse also wants me to get swine flue,mmr and jap-b.

are these jabs realy nessacery,i dont drink alcohol yet i feel like ive had a hangover every morning since the first rabies shot,i realy dont want to put anything else in to my body that i really dont need so if i could do without the rest of the jabs i will happy.
    pluss the jap-b jabs are £160.ive already payed a fortune for the ones ive had and its realy made a big dent in my funds but if i realy do need them then i guess il just have to do it.

#1 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 03:26

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

In my non-expert opinion, I would say that no, you don't need them. I think you are more than adequately protected.

#2 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 03:46

• valis

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

thanks for the input busylizzy,i myself think what i have already should be enough but im no expert either.
    my nurse keeps saying that she thinks its safer to get them all even tho they seem to be making me ill,but then this is the first time she has prepared anyone for vietnam,she says most of the folk she deals with is for india and other asian countries.

im going back on teusday anjd if im still geting sore heads im definatley telling her il finish thr rabies course but thats it.its mainly this jap-b jab she wants me to have.

#3 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 03:59

• valis

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

thanks for the input busylizzy,i myself think what i have already should be enough but im no expert either.
    my nurse keeps saying that she thinks its safer to get them all even tho they seem to be making me ill,but then this is the first time she has prepared anyone for vietnam,she says most of the folk she deals with is for india and other asian countries.

im going back on teusday anjd if im still geting sore heads im definatley telling her il finish thr rabies course but thats it.its mainly this jap-b jab she wants me to have.

#4 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 04:09

• valis

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

#5 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 04:13

• valis

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

sorry about the 3 posts in a row,i dont know how i maneged that.

i was just wondering if it would also be advisible to take something for cleaning out mozzy bites,would this help at all,like alchohol or some sort of disinfectant.

i seem to get verry bad reactions with all types of bites.im from scotland and like camping but im always the one who comes worse of with the midgey bites.i also got bitten by a horsefly a few weeks back and had to recieve medical treatment as the swelling was so seveire.
    i was also attacked quite bad with mites one night camping a few months back,i had to get my girlfriend to go over my body and pick them all off and clean out the wounds.

and all this is in scotland which is a pretty tame country so you can understand my fears when it comes to insect bites,for some reason they all just seem to love me.

i also spent the year in holland in 2003 and was permenently hownded by mozzies,every morning i would wake up with new bites and swollen areas.and again i would have thaught holland to be a pretty tame country.

i guess im gonna have to be 100% prepared when it comes to proventing bites in the first place.if anyone has any tips i would love to hear them.

#6 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 06:46

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Like Lizzy, I'm no expert, but I agree with her. I think the rabies series is a bit over the top. Just take the same precautions for the mozzies that you would at home.

#7 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 08:09

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hi!

I'm not a doctor so I don't know if the info here is correct. Their advise is to get jap-b only if you will stay for extended periods in rural areas.

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/vaccines.htm#japBenc

#8 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 10:06

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

MMR is something you should have no matter where you live. Any MEDC gives this shot out to every school age child. H1N1 isn't really necessary, in China all children had to get them but adults could opt out - everyone did and nobody caught it.

#9 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 12:07

• valis

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

thanks for the replys folks.

the reason i dont have the mmr jab already is because i used to truent school.so i dont know if i need it or not as ive went the last 17 years or so without it.
    ive had mumps as a kid so im sure i cant catch that one again anyway.

#10 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 03:00

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Personally - and maybe I'm not too wise for having done this - I travelled Vietnam for 2 1/2 months with no shots of any kind, and did not have any problems.  

#11 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 12:02

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

I agree with DLuek, although it is always wise to have tetinus up to date regardless of where you live. I had swine flu and normal annual flu shots, but that was more because planes are flying tin cans full of germs and I always seem to get the person sitting next to me who coughs and sneezes the whole trip.

#12 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 14:59

• twiggy84

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2010

I've been reading all your posts - do you think i'm crazy if I don't get ANY shots????

I'm going for 2 months all over S.E.Asia, will be travelling quite a bit throughout that time but not too rural too often. I ran out of time to get shots, am leaving in a week so wouldn't even be able to get all the jabs - don't want to spend the money anyways, so.... am I crazy if I don't get any?????

valis - probably not what you wanted to hear!!

#13 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 15:07

• valis

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

i dont think your crazy twiggy i just hope you will be ok tho.have you done anything like this before?and do you have any experience of dealing with mozzies?

i spent a year in holland,and in the summer there i had a bad time with mozzies at night but apart from that i dont realy have mutch experience with them,ive never even been to a warm climate so lots of biting inects and stuff is all gonna be totaly new to me.

i challenge anyone to put up with our scottish midgey for anymore than a few seconds,but althow they can drive you to the point of insanity,ive never heard of anyone being killed or seriously injured by them,thers more of a chance of injuring yourself trying to get away from them,lol.

i dont know twiggy.judging by what other folk are saying you should be ok,but maybe you should just make sure you take extra care compaired to general joe the traveler.

as for me,i think il just take the other 2 rabies jabs that ive already payed for and that will do.ive lived this long without the mmr so i wont bother with that,and il also forget the japenese whatsit called,£160,awch.

#14 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 16:03

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I'm on my 5th year here and didn't get any shots before coming. Had some in the military 40years ago if that counts. :) Yes, someday the big mozzie out of the sky will give me something I don't want, but being from the states, I could be sitting at a burger joint and some whacko pissed off at his mother-in-law could walk in with a 9mm and start blasting away too. Leave it to chance I guess.

#15 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 07:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You need to make sure you are well protected from mozzies anyhow, regardless of whether or not you take malaria meds. You still have some risk of dengue fever in some area. It's not pleasant - just ask Somtam. With regards to the other injections - my belief is that you educate yourself on the risks that you are taking, then make your decisions based on that knowledge. I wouldn't say you're nuts.... but you're making an 'informed' decision to take that chance. (Not judging you for it by any means.... ) And chances are, you'll be fine.

Hey Neosho - I have a guy at work from the US that we have voted 'Most likely to go postal'. He sits opposite me, and everyone's expectation here is that I will 'take one for the team' to allow them the time to escape. So I reckon it's more dangerous for me to come to work each day than to not take meds!

#16 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 09:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.