Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Christmas in Vietnam - Yes or No?!

• jjireland100

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2010

Hi Guys,

I am in a bit of a panic about my travel plans. I was suppouse to be heading mid Nov and going to Oz and spending Xmas in Sydney and then returning to Asia in Jan for some travelling.

Now things have changed so I am going to Asia first. I dont know where to spend Xmas and New Years?

Following my original itenary that I had set out for Jan I think we would end up in Vietnam (south) for Xmas.

Can anyone recommend where my friend and I would have a lively Xmas ? We are both in our early 20s we would like a nice Xmas day with other backpackers mixed with some fun and def a lively New Years Eve?
    Or should go off the track and fly somewhere like the Philippines or Hong Kong?

#1 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 19:47

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

In the south of Vietnam you will find plenty of good parties. It's just that the overall Xmas atmosphere (decorations and such) is lacking in the streets and anywhere else.

If the latter is important for you to get into the right mood you're better off in Hong Kong or Philipines which are more western/christian oriented.

For backpacker parties. Head to beachtown Nha Trang which is more or less already a party place for backpackers or stay at the Pham Ngu Lao (HCMC) area where there will plenty of small and big parties for backpackers. Go2 disco in Pham Ngu Lao will certainly be packed. Not my scene though.

HCMC has some really friendly welcoming expat bars. Bit more expensive but more to my liking. Vascos is sure to be full with a good crowd and there are plenty of other great bars to choose from. You just have to check when you arrive.

#2 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 11:52

• Pink22

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

The North in Vietnam with the a bit cold weather will be a choice to spend your Xmas there. You can tark part in Xmas and New Year with the ethnic minorities in Sapa, Mai Chau with parties, dancing, drink traditional wine and enjoy food.

#3 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 10:08

• bertiej

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2010

Nha Trang is definitely a good choice if you want to party and meet other tourists of your age. Although I am not sure if you will find many tourists in the bars during Christmas, I've never been there at that time of the year. Hong Kong for example is a "safer" place to stay during Xmas because you will have a much livelier and more western Xmas there.

#4 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 17:26

• valis

Click here to learn more about valis
    Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

unless i decide to go to cambodia or laos i will be spending my christmss and new year somewhere between sigon and hanoi.im not realy a christmassy type of person anyway but do hope i can get to somewhere with internet access on new years day as thers a football match i just cant miss,its bigger than christmas,lol.

#5 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 03:12

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Well, I'll be in Hanoi at Christmas as I live here .... I'm not sure how lively it'll be but there are plenty of expats here and expat bars and I know last year (although I wasn't here) some more Western restaurants put on Christmas Dinners. I'll try to remember to post details of what's going on nearer the time. Re the football valis - I doubt you'll have trouble finding somewhere to watch it (who's playing?) as they're football mad here and it's not Christmas Day for them.

#6 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 11:27

• valis

Click here to learn more about valis
    Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

new years day the football is traveling sarah.its celtic v rangers,the new years old firm derby,its a must see,i know usualy in asia the channel aljezera shows celtic games but in south east asia i doubt il get that channel.

#7 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 13:19

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Sorry - missed the bit about it being New Years' Day. Same situation though I guess. We don't have Aljezera so you're right, you're unlikely to get it here but I'm sure it'll be on somewhere - not that I've met many Scots out here. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

#8 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 13:25

• saggie

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2010
    Location Vietnam

stick with big cities for more feelings of Christmas, cause if you are in remote area, people dont really care about Christmas since we are mainly Buddist here. Hoi An can be the place to land on Christmas!

#9 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 15:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.