Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Best of Vietnam

• dmoran

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2010

Looking for the best places in your opinion to visit in Vietnam.

Our Timeframe 2.5 Weeks in early December 2010, so we are willing to cut out places that are a waste of time or that are a bit of a snooze fest...

Situation: My friend and I, are two males (both single) in our mid 20's.... By the time we get to Vietnam, we will have travelled Thailand and Laos for the previous month. The plan is to fly from Vientiane to Hanoi and start Vietnam from there. We plan (subject to change from the input from ths forum) to make our way from Hanoi to Saigon (HCMC).... by any means possible (fly, train, bike, even kayak!) and stop off at any place that comes recommended.

So anything from cultural & history, sight seeing places, good activities, chill out places, good nightlife and simply just must see places. Also any place that is good to meet fellow travellers....

So basically a best of of Vietnam...

Any input will be much appreciated

#1 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 21:51

• Advertisement

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi! Cities you can't miss in my opinion are Hanoi (4,5 days), Hue (3 days), Hoian (2 days), HCMC (4, 5 days), the Mekong delta (6, 7 days). I'd skip Halong Bay, my two friends liked it but in my opinion if you've seen it in photos you've seen it all, the atmosphere isn't great, just many boats with tourists and dirty water two jump into from the boat's top floor (the water itches your skin!). Actually with my friends we were asking ourselves how Unesco doesn't step in, some day Halong Bay will be a waste bin. Plus you might find yourselves on a boat in the middle of boring people... Consider Sapa, Phu Quoc and Con Dao although I didn't go there, so no information on those places...

#2 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 23:10

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

I wouldn't save any time for beaches in Vietnam, they are nothing special!

#3 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 23:12

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Just use the Vietnam button at the top of this page - some excellent recs there. Vietnam does have some beautiful beaches (Phu Quoc Is, Hoi An, Mui Ne, Nha Trang), but they're not in the same class as those in Thailand. I suggest you spend more time in the North (Hanoi, Sapa) and Central Coast (Hoi An). I use Vietnam Airlines and certain trains (Livitrans). VN highways can be quite dangerous places!

#4 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 01:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.