Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Connection times for flight?

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Hi again all! So, I am about to book my flight into Siem Reap (for a trip that continues on to vietnam for the majority), and I was curious if anyone had any tips on how much time is reccomended to make a connection - the flight I am looking at goes from JFK-ICN-REP, and there is a 1 hour layover in ICN - do you think that is enough? I figure worst case, I have to catch the flight the next night (it looks like there is only 1 flight in each night?), but I thought I would run it by you knowledgeable folks first! Thanks again!

#1 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 01:15

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Which airport is ICN? I googled it and came up with South Korea, which doesn't sound right.
    Also - are the flights on the same airline?

If flying different airlines, you're cutting it fine as you would have to get bags off, clear customs (depending on where ICN is, I guess), then check in on next flight. Also - if you're changing airlines, check the minimum check-in period. Usually -3 hours for international.

#2 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 15:01

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

ICN is in Seoul - its the same airline (Korean Air). I didn't think I would have to clear customs until arriving in Siem Reap though. This could be interesting!

#3 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 20:42

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

One hour is too short coming from an international flight. Delays etc would eat into that in no time. Been there, done it and I can tell you it isn't fun, clock watching and running through a terminal. Fortunately I was flying with the same airline and my bags arrived 4 hours later on the next available flight. I made gate closing by less than 5 mins after a 12 hour flight. As mentioned by busylizzy, if not the same airline, you have to do all the running around. Even if last check-in is say 30mins (it varies from airline to airline) there is still security etc to clear.
    And what if you do miss the connection? Who is paying for the next ticket? Would there be a guarantee of a seat? And would you need a visa for a 24hr stopover in ICN (Seoul). I'd allow more time. 

#4 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 20:50

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

The joys of the internet....you posted while I was replying. If the same airline, maybe go for it, especially if all flights are being booked at the same time. Korean Air would have an obligation to get you on the flight....you might still end up running, hurriedly following a member of staff though! :)

#5 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 20:55

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I am going for it - I found one with a 1.5 hour layover - will see what happens...thanks again!

#6 Posted: 16/10/2010 - 22:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Adequate time for connection flight using Air Asia (Bangkok)? ... By joenerf on 9 Sep 2011 8 6430 11 Sep 2011
flight times hue to saigon ... By EdSue on 25 Sep 2009 1 1091 26 Sep 2009