Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

18 Days in Vietnam

• RookieEra

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2010

Hello all,
    A friend and i are heading all over SE asia for just short of three months, starting December. Our trip begins in Saigon, and our itinerary, specifically for vietnam, is as follows:
    Saigon: 3 nights
    Overnight train to Da Nang
    Hoi An : 4 nights
    Overnight train to Hanoi
    Hanoi and Surrounds: 9 nights.
    We are both young lads, and we've travelled thailand before. We love food, taking advantage of destinations' specialties (i.e. Hoi An and its tailors) and ofcourse a bit of nightlife, but not forgetting authentic cultural experiences that get you out of the "tourist scene". Dislike places such as Phuket. Our overall trip will take us on and off the beaten track. A few questions: we've started booking inexpensive, recommended hostel accommodation, would prior booking be recommended at this time of the year (december)? that question pretty much goes for our whole trip (vietnam - laos - thailand - malaysia - singapore) over dec - feb. I realise it restricts your movements a bit, but is there a lot of availability at this time of the year? same goes for train tickets... better to have them booked prior? any recommendations for Hanoi, other than Ha Long and Sapa?

#1 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 18:29

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

That sounds like a good and sensible itinerary.

As for the bookings: It wouldn't hurt you to do that. In the budget backpackers range there is plenty of room though to wing it but it's also understandable to book ahead since it will save you hunting around (and dealing with touts) in busy december. Just beware about prices though. Many guesthouses quote higher prices over internet but you can bargain although for december that might be tougher.
    Booking train tickets in advance is very useful. There are several threads about that.

I quite liked the homestays in Mai Chau. Very peaceful and tranquil. Different experience from Sapa but I don't know if it might interest two lads but if you enjoy scenery and tranquility it's definitely recommended. But you may not have that much time if you do Sapa, Halong and Hanoi in 9 days.

#2 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 19:22

• RookieEra

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2010

Cheers Eastwest!

As far as price is concerned we've found some good deals online, and through hostelworld, a few extra bucks is not so dearly missed in exchange for a few hours hunting for a bed. We have been recommended Bac Ha over Sapa, thoughts? and has Ha Long just become completely touristified? i like the idea of spending a night out on a boat, but not amongst another 100, surrounded by fat, compact-camera sporting "Club Med all-inclusive" travellers...

Thanks again!

#3 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 20:21

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Bac Ha has few food options, except for the very busy night before the even busier market. The reasonable hotels seem to be booked out by the tour groups (the one I managed to get was pretty dire). The scenery is beautiful but all the markets I saw were so full of tourists with big cameras and the made for tourist stuff that goes with it.

Sapa is still better set up for tourists, though there seems to be lots of building going on.

#4 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 11:01

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Agree with violets.

Another option would be Ha Giang but that is on the complete opposite of the spectrum. It's northern Vietnam and one of the poorest areas in Vietnam. Ba Giang the provincial capital has an interesting market that attracts the same hilltribes in the weekends. You can be assured to be the only foreigner there (or of a handful) but it's tough going without anything or anybody catering to tourists. Even authorities might not like you to go there because of the poverty. But some truly breathtaking scenery (north east of Ba Giang) there as well and very cold in december.
    If you fancy a rewarding but challenging trip I can recommend it but it's not for everyone. With a guide it would be more enjoyable for you

Ha long is touristic but justifiably so and there's not much you can do about it. The mid range boats are not overcrowded and the area is huge. Once you're on the water the other tourists will disappear and only converge at the caves and other hotspots. Read some topics (and the site) here well about selecting a boat.

#5 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 13:05

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I was a bit dissapointed by Bac Ha - I'd also heard that it was more 'authentic' than Sapa and therefore the place to stay, but on market day it's full of tourist tour groups and the rest of the time I guess it's dead. And as Violets says, there's a dire lack of restaurants, although I did find a couple of decent hotels there.

Sapa is very touristy but I love it there and there's plenty of choice for eating, drinking and sleeping. Also, if you want to trek, it's cheaper and easier to do so out of Sapa - it is possible from Bac Ha but I was quoted higher prices as the tours will be private, not group.

I would recommend a visit to Bac Ha if you're there for a Sunday but I think you'd have a better time in Sapa.

Halong is also touristy but unmissable.

#6 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 11:16

• janice107

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2011

after searched on google and yahoo i found this tour http://travel.yahoo.com/trip-journal-2382413-13_days_local_experience_of_vietnam i think you can take a look to get some tips for you.
    with Itinerary in Brief:
    Day 1: Arrival Ho Chi Minh City - Afternoon City Tour
    Day 2: Optional Trips: Morning Saigon City Tour / Afternoon Option Cu Chi Tunnels
    Day 3: Optional Trips: Day Trip to Mekong Delta / Can Gio Mangrove Forest / “Helping Hands” Tour - Overnight Bus To Nha Trang
    Day 4: Arrival Nha Trang - Optional Trips: Boat Trip / Guided Biking Trip / Hot Spring Mud Bath
    Day 5: Free Day In Nha Trang - Overnight Train To Da Nang
    Day 6: Arrival Danang. Bus To Hoi An Via Marble Mountain
    Day 7: Free Discovery In Hoi An Ancient Town - Optional Cooking Class
    Day 8: Public Bus to Hue - Hue Homestay
    Day 9: In Hue - Optional Trips: Thien Mu Pagoda & Old Citadel / Kayaking On Perfume River. Overnight Train To Hanoi
    Day 10: Arrive Hanoi - Drive To Halong Bay
    Day 11: Return to Hanoi - Free Time Or Orientation Walk In Old Quarter
    Day 12: In Hanoi - Free And Easy
    Day 13: Tour Ends Hanoi
    hope it helpful

#7 Posted: 17/8/2011 - 16:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.