Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam itinerary confusion

• dganitbz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2010

My husband and I like nature and atmosphere…. (Like in Hoi An)
    We plan to be in Vietnam on March, 2011.
    I was wondering whether or not to include Hue in our itinerary
    If we do include Hue we will only have one full day (not including the transportation time.)
    This will cause visiting Tam Coc, Ninh Binh , on Saturday and after spending one night in Ninh Binh-Departing to Hanoi on Sunday-I guess visiting Ninh Binh on weekend will probably not be the best time … too many people…
    After that we would like to spend 3 days in Halong bay& Cat Ba Island and than- 4 days in Sapa (on weekend)
    If we skip Hue-we will be able to arrive to Ninh Binh a day earlier-that is on Friday- visit Tam Coc, spend the night in Ninh Binh and depart to Hanoi on Saturday.
    This will leave us one more day in Halong bay & Cat Ba Island -so we can be there 4 days instead of 3.
    Which option is better?
    Will be happy to receive your recommendation…
    Thanks
    Dganit

#1 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 05:11

• Advertisement

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

In that case I'd skip Hue on a trip like this. On a one-day visit you'd be most tempted to see the citadel and/or a half-day boat tour of a string of local temples. I did both of those things when I was there for 8 days this last March, and I found them all a bit underwhelming. The citadel in particular is about as plain as a site can get, which the main Travelfish review also says, but I had to see it myself to believe it.

It's true that Hue is kind of a charming town, and I quite liked the food and the vibe there, but Hoi An is far nicer with even better food. If you really wanted to see the DMZ, which I didn't, it might be worth it, but otherwise I'd add that extra day elsewhere.

On the other hand, I did Halong Bay on the 2-day/1-night thing, which actually felt like plenty of time, even though the place is amazing. Adding an extra day to explore the national park on Cat Ba sounds like it could be good for you guys, but I'm not sure a 4th day there is a good use of your time. The people I met who spent time on Cat Ba said it's not that special, though others might disagree.

#2 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 19:13

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Yes I would skip Hue, not really worth it unless you have lots of time.

I would spend the extra day on Cat Ba and hire a motorcycle to drive around the island as it's not that big and is very pretty.
    Mike

#3 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 19:32

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I get that Hue isn't for everyone but the motorbike tour around some of the temples and mausoleums was one of the highlights of Vietnam on my first visit here 7 years ago. I've since done it again and still really enjoyed it. A day is enough though. I've not really explored Cat Ba so can't comment on whether your time is better spent there.

#4 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 09:57

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Looking at your trip I would lean toward skipping Hue and adding a day somewhere else. We were there in June and found the 3day/2 night Halong trip to be plenty.This also included one night on Cat Ba which the group of 6 really enjoyed. Might have something to do you with the people your with. Loved Hoi An and also spent 4 nights in Sapa . Was so glad we had allowed that time in Sapa as first two days completely white out no chance of trekking. Then had 2 perfect days. There were people staying at the Hotel for 2 nights and unfortunately saw nothing. Hope that helps.
    cheers

#5 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 11:51

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I vote for 1 day Hue. I did the summer palaces trip a few times by boat and I really thought that was a great day on the Parfum river. They made lunch on the boat and floating over the river gives an extra dimension to the visits. It's far better than on the back of a motorbike which basically just brings you from A to B while the boat trip in itself is very pleasant as well.

Would definitely favor that over extra day in Halong. One full day there gives you a great impression but another day would be more of the same for me since there aren't that many actual things to see.

#6 Posted: 27/10/2010 - 18:39

• dganitbz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2010

Based on your various advises, it looks like 1 full day in Hue can be nice …
    Sooooo…… I think this will be our itinerary:
    After several days in Ho Ch minh & the Mekong delta, we will take a morning flight from Ho Chi Minh to Hue and arrive to Hue at noon.
    The next day we will stay around Hue and the day after, we will make the way between Hue and Hoi An by a private car or motorbikes- so that we will be able to make some stops on the way.
    Than we will spend the next 2 full days in Hoi An and on the 3rd day we will fly to Hanoi.
    The rest of our time in Vietnam we can do 3 days- Halong bay cruise + 2 days at Ninh binh + 4 days in Sapa .
    Hope you all approve…..
    I really thank you all….

#7 Posted: 27/10/2010 - 19:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.