Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Phu Quoc or Mui Ne?

• SarahLennon

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all,

In Nha Trang at the mo and then heading onto Dalat but have just read up a bit of Phu Quoc and am totally torn whether to visit there or Mui Ne? Flights are pretty cheap to get there so that wouldn't be a hassle but since they are both beach resorts its kind of hard to distinguish which would be better. Any help at all would be appreciated :)

#1 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 20:02

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

There's not really a lot to do in Mui Ne . You can rent a motorbike and drive down towards Phan Thiet and check out the small city there as it's nice. Check out the sand dunes in Mui Ne and that's about it. Everything in town is closed at 10 p.m. most of the time.
    Got no idea for Phu Quoc as I've skipped that.

#2 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 20:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Phu Quoc Island certainly has better beaches than Mui Ne but you may want to watch the weather as tail-end of the wet season at the moment, so you might catch a little rain. That said, if I was you, I'd be beelining it to Phu Quoc.

#3 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 08:19

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

There's also not that much to do (probably even less) on Phu Quoc. I did the highlights of Phu Quoc route on motorbike and one of the highlights was "you can see Cambodia from here" other highlight was a visit to a fish sauce factory. That should tell you enough.

Big difference is the beaches. You have plenty of them on Phu Quoc whereas Mui Ne has basically only one. The big wide 10 km wide ones or some small inlets (of the tropical paradise sort) can both be found on Phu Quoc. If beaches, sand and swimming is more important you should head to Phu Quoc, rent a motorbike and visit all the beaches.

If you want a few more options for excursions and social scene (although both very limited) Mui Ne is the place.

In general I would say that Phu Quoc is more suitable for couples and not so much for single travellers. Just because of the lack of things to do and very limited social scene which is not really concentrated in 1 location.

#4 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 08:21

• SarahLennon

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Oh interesting..Thank you all!

#5 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 09:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.