Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Buses going to Mai Chau

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

Buses going to Mai Chau leave "Ha Dong bus station", about 10km south-west of city center(around Old Quarter) and "My Dinh bus station", about 7km west of city center(around Old Quarter).

And if you will stay at Mai Chau for a few days, you never need to hurry for going to Mai Chau because it takes 3~3.5 hours only from Ha Noi , and My Dinh bus station has 3 buses a day (07:00am/14:00pm/14:30pm) as far as i cheched Sep.9 2010 and actually took a bus at My Dinh.

Ticket price is 50,000VND (this is correct price and other prices are all overchargings because as for bus fares in Viet Nam, if we ride a bus without buying ticket before taling it, we foreigners will be 100% surely overcharged at any routes-short or long- and any places from north to south except "city bus" in Ha Noi, HCMC--- etc in big cities.

It's definetely a Vietnamese wrong custum widely spreading and normalizing that are lasting for many years, so please surely buy your tickets before riding even if some Vietnamese around bus station eargaly want to take you to your bus directly with no ticket.

And if you take a bus not early morning, your transport from your hotel or guesthouse to bus station is entirely your choice--①taxi, ②motorbike-taxi, ③Ha Noi City Bus.
    (i don't know where you will stay, but from which place, city bus No.? + city bus No.36→My Dinh bus station)

PS) As for acommodation at Mai Chau, if you do Mai Chau tour with DIY, you can stay at not only "Ban Lak" & "Ban Pom Coong"(Ban=village) where 99% foreign tourists who buy "Mai Chau tour" at Ha Noi will be sent into these 2 well- known villages by tour companies in Ha Noi, but we can also stay at other unkown 2 villages--"Ban Van" & "Ban Lak 2" t Mai Chau.

Popular "Ban Lak" and "Ban Pom Coong" locate at the place of 800m far more the bus station(this bus statioin is almost same to "Angkor-runs"?? and not working now) and these villages are among rice fields in flatland near the town center and NR.15, and are connecting with village ends each other as if they are one village, and have over 45 guesthouses(=Nha San=Thai minority's stilt house) in all officially registered as guesthouse,

Indeed scenery from these villges is superior than other villages as many guide books are saying, but i think there are a bit too touristy and villages have too many souvnir shops even though the places we can enjoy seeing atractions with traditional local dancing and music at night is in these 2 villages only.

And one more unkown remarkable thing exsists--quite often these villages will be occupied by neumarous university or high school students from Ha Noi (300~500 students) and at that time these villages are numberless spallows on the evening trees in daytime. and very noisy with drums and loud musics late at night(around 11:30pm).you like it or not, i don't know.

So if you do Mai Chau tour with DIY, please add other 2 villages in your list--it means you can choose your acommodation in 4 Thai minority villages in all as your homestaying-"Ban Lak", "Ban Pom Coong", "Ban Van"(2 guesthouses only) and Ban Lak 2(2~3 guesthouses only) .

(LOCAATION IN VILLAGES)
    "Ban Lak" & "Ban Pom Cong" are about 800m far more Mai Chau bus station(=almost same to "Angkor-ruins"?? and not working now and we cannot buy tickets for returning to Ha Noi in reverse now).
    "Ban Van" locates at a foot of mountains and about 1km from the town center & main road NR.15 & market & banks etc, and a paved straight road among rice fields leads you to this village(quite dark at night). & "Ban Van" has only 2 guesthouses(=Nha San) and no souvnir shops and eating shops for tourists so it's never touristy and quiet natulal with local atomosphere comparewd with Ban Lak & Ban Pom Coong.
    "Ban Lak 2" lacates at the foot of a low mountain .and about 300m from Ban Lak, and having 2~3 guesthouses officially registered as guethouse.
    This villge has no remarkable thing but it's quite normal for local people, i think and a bit less superior with scenery.

(RETURNING TO HA NOI)
    Not only buses from Mai Chau going to Ha Noi but also buses coming from Dien Bien Phu, Son La, Muong La etc="Tay Bac region" going to Ha Noi all pass through Dong Tau junction(=another name "Nga Ba) on NR.6--5km from Mai Chau town, so even if you cannot take any bus for returning to Ha Noi or miss your bus at Mai Chau, you can easily catch a bus going to Ha Noi at this junction for returning because many buse are running on No.6 with both directions from morning till night, but in my experience Apr.26 this year, 14:30~16:00pm only, there was no bus going to Ha Noi, so be aware of this time zone only if you want to catch your bus here)

#1 Posted: 28/10/2010 - 15:07

• Advertisement

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

#2 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 04:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chau Doc to Can Tho Buses ... By secreteights on 19 Sep 2012 3 3433 29 Aug 2013
buses to Chau Doc from CanTho and Vinh Long ... By joeandnicky on 7 Aug 2009 2 5970 7 Aug 2009