Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi train station to the airport

• dganitbz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2010

I really need your advise on this:
    We plan to take the train from SAPA to Hanoi and depart to Bangkok at the same day.
    The train arrives to Hanoi about 06:00Am [some websites say-05:00Am or even 04:35AM(???)] and the flight from Hanoi to Bangkok departs on 09:05 AM - Do we have enough time?is it safe?
    How much and how long is the taxi from the train station to Bangkok?
    Thanks
    Dganit

#1 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 02:40

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

A taxi direct from the train station to the airport will take about 45 minutes - 1 hour, so in theory you could make your flight. However, that relies on the train being on time. They're usually good from Sapa but it's not guaranteed! What number train are you getting? I've got the most up to date train times (as posted at the station) here so can tell you what time that says you should arrive in Hanoi.

Regarding price - a pre-arranged taxi from Old Quarter to the airport is usually about $10 but you'll pay more than that if you take a taxi from the station. For your peace of mind you're best off negotiating a price in advance.

#2 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 10:10

• dganitbz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2010

thank u so much
    I dont have the train tickets yet so I can book the right train tickets to be on time.
    I was offered by Littke Hanoi Hotel the train tickets for King express-is it OK?
    On the other hand if I book the livitrain It will probably be safer-right?
    The thing is that it is the most expensive train tickets..
    Which one should I book?
    Do u reccomend to book it on web- in advance- before I arrive to Vietnam?
    Do u reccomend anyone to book from?

#3 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 12:59

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

The trains times I have from Lao Cai are:

SP2 departs at 20:05, arrives 04:35
    SP4 departs at 20:45, arrives 05:10
    SP6 departs at 18:55, arrives at 03:40
    SP8 departs at 19:30, arrives 04:05.

So any should get you to Hanoi in plenty of time. I'd suggest the 19.30 as it avoids hanging around in Lao Cai too long. The King Express and the Livitrain are private carriages attached to these trains - Livitrain is on the 1930 but I'm not sure about The King Express. However, I just travel in standard soft sleeper (or hard sleeper) air con carriages and think they're fine and, of course, they're cheaper. The problem you may have is booking a standard carriage in advance: Livitrains can be booked direct via www.livitrantrain.com and King Express can be booked through many websites, just do a search, but you will pay handsomely. If you want a standard train you could try one of the following agencies which I've used in the past, but you will pay up to around $8 per ticket commission.

cozyhotel@gmail.com

hawkhuong1982gpt@gmail.com

The cheapest option of course is to buy your ticket direct at the station. Depending upon when you're going and how flexible you are this might be possible. If you have a few days in Hanoi before you go to Sapa you could try at the station and then if you have no luck, shop around at the agencies.

Let me know if this isn't clear or you need further information.

#4 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 13:25

• dganitbz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2010

Thank u so much
    I have checked about the King express (cheaper than Livitrains) and each website has different information about it…. Many of these websites say that it is attached to SP3 and SP4...
    ???
    Look at this quotation from http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm
    Tulico, Ratraco, TSC, Friendly, Royal, King
    These deluxe tourist cars run attached to train SP3/SP4. They're all significantly better than the regular Vietnamese Railways sleepers, but there's reportedly not a lot to choose between the different private operators. For example, the 'Tulico' cars offer VIP 2-berth, 1st class 4-berth or 2nd class 4-berth, aimed at mid-market tourists. The cost is around $60 each way in 2-berth

#5 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 13:56

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I don't know anymore than you've found out about The King Express. SP3 goes Hanoi to Lao Cai and SP4 goes Lao Cai to Hanoi so the information you have found is likely to be true. The face value of a soft sleeper a/c bottom birth (the most expensive standard - not private - ticket) is 330,000 each way, that's about $17 at today's exchange rate. Your choice really depends on your budget, exact schedule and attitude. If budget's not an issue and you want the best, book into a private 2-berth in advance. If budget's tight, your schedule's flexible, you have lots of time in Hanoi prior to your trip and you're not a worrier then go hard sleeper a/c and book it at the station (go to B station ticket office) when you get to Hanoi.

#6 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 14:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Overnight Train from Suvarnahumbi airport to Chiang Mai - which train station is closest? ... By etsai026 on 14 Oct 2006 1 3122 15 Oct 2006
Train Station to Airport ... By aik_yong2002 on 8 May 2012 4 2839 21 May 2012
From Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) to the train station. ... By atarigangster on 26 Apr 2013 5 1694 26 Apr 2013
Don Muang Airport/Train station ... By msaw on 4 Jan 2008 2 5090 4 Jan 2008
Suvarnabhumi Airport to don muang train station ... By woodyuk on 16 Oct 2008 6 9175 20 Oct 2008
Hua Lamphong train station to Suvarnabhumi airport? ... By Emma23 on 23 May 2012 2 7084 24 May 2012
Hualumpong train station Vs. Bangkok Airport for storage? ... By translasian on 21 Aug 2006 0 2526 21 Aug 2006
How to go fro Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hualamphong train station ... By ilovetravelling on 13 Dec 2010 11 32866 10 Jul 2014
Hanoi train station ... By shakester on 31 Mar 2008 13 9170 1 Jul 2008
Hanoi Station -> Airport Q ... By smash on 30 Dec 2009 0 1378 30 Dec 2009