Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Siem Reap to Chau Doc in 1 day?

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Hi everyone - I have been looking into how to get to Chau Doc from Siem Reap (looks like I am just going to explore the Mekong area on my own instead of a tour out of Saigon - seem like a better idea?). From what I have found it looks like the best bet from SR to PP is a bus with either the Mekong Express, or Mai Linh (spelling?). It looked like those would arrive in PP sometime afternoon. After that it looked like the way to go would be to get a boat from PP to Chau Doc with Hang Chau boat company, but it looked like the boats all left early morning. Is the only way to make this section of travel to spend a night in PP? Thanks a lot!

#1 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 07:47

• Advertisement

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi! I think that you have to spend one night in PP. I did the boat trip from Chau Doc to PP and boats only left in the morning. You should buy your ticket when arriving to PP and if I were you I'd take the fast boat. It takes 6h (although they say 4) and it really isn't that fast, you do have plenty of time to enjoy the view.

#2 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 16:39

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I haven't done it myself but there seems to be an overnight bus now.

I've seen advertisements for it and some postings in threads. Could be that it's an overnight bus from SR to SHV and than you would be arriving in PP in the middle of the night (which doesn't sound appealing to me).
    But look around or use the search function for overnight bus to Sihanoukville and then you might find out what the schedule is exactly.

#3 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 19:52

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Thanks for the reply's. Indoluso - it would seem like I wouldn't get into PP too late, so I think there would be plenty of time to get a ticket for the next day (unless they fill up quickly?).

eastwest - I wasn't able to find anything about an overnight bus to get to Chau Doc - do you remember where you had seen it?

Thanks again - this board/site really is a great resource!

#4 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 09:24

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough (also just reread my reply). My remarks concerned a better connection for you to make that morning boat and save yourself a (full) night in PP. It's not an alternative way to get to Chau Doc

As far as I know there's no overnight bus to Chau Doc. Just to Sihanoukville . If you take that you could be able to make it to the morning ferry in time when that overnight bus stops in Phnom Penh .

According to some posts (I just looked it up for you) a bus leaves 7.30 pm or 8 pm from Siem Reap and arrives in Sihanoukville around 6 am the next morning (via PP).
    If you took that overnight bus it would make your arrival in Phnom Penh round 1-2 am. I'm not sure if you really want to be arriving in Phnom Penh at that hour but if that boat (PP-Chau doc) leaves very early it might be an option if you only have to wait a few hours.
    Otherwise I don't see it really as a viable alternative since there is no real comfy terminal where you can hang a round for a few hours in the middle of the night.

#5 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 13:31

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Ah, I see what you were saying - I will look into that for sure, but I think the boats didn't leave PP for Chau Doc until a bit later (I think I had seen around 12:00 or 13:00). Worst case scenario isn't really all that bad though - I get to spend a night/morning checking out PP :-). Thanks again!

#6 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 04:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chau Doc to Siem Reap ... By zotsam on 14 Sep 2007 4 3317 16 Sep 2007
Boat from Chau Doc or Siem Reap ... By cuffedbloke on 30 Oct 2009 0 4678 30 Oct 2009